Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how long/  (Read 1966 times)

Offline brewbarr

• 1st Kit
how long/
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:10:45 am »
 hey guys was wondering how far in advance do you allow a brew to be premium ? big event in august should i brew in may?just trying to get an idea it will be a belgian or a strong ipa and i was going to bottle

thanks
Beer today Beer tomorrow:)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: how long/
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:18:54 am »
How long is a piece of string? It just depends on the beer and /or style. An American IPA is usually best when fresh (4-8 weeks or so) but some Belgian strong ales can age for months or even years.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:42:17 am »
I would brew ASAP if it was me. That way if it doesn't turn out like you expected, you can brew again.

A one foot piece of string is 12" long.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:07 am »
Again it depends on the style but I typically lean towards brewing sooner than later even with an IPA. Although IPA's by default are better in the 4-8 week range. I have some belgian beers that are several years old that are better now than they were a year ago. Once you develop your recipe let us know and we'll be able to be more specific.

Welcome to the AHA Forum.  8)

A real man of genius.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:17:18 am »
Again it depends on the style but I typically lean towards brewing sooner than later even with an IPA. Although IPA's by default are better in the 4-8 week range. I have some belgian beers that are several years old that are better now than they were a year ago. Once you develop your recipe let us know and we'll be able to be more specific.

Welcome to the AHA Forum.  8)

A real man of genius.  ;)

One flippant answer deserves another. :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:20:04 am by Mikey »

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
Consider brewing a batch of it now (may want to go small-batch; you could even make two small batches of two recipes you're interested in). You will soon know if it's the right brew for the occasion, if you've got the technique for it down pat, etc. Even at an 8-week turnaround, you'll be in early March by the time most beer is drinkable, which gives you two more attempts to get it right (May, July). Time flies...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brewbarr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:22:24 pm »
Thanks forward your help guys I always know someone will have an answer for me Happy new year to all and keep on brewing
Beer today Beer tomorrow:)