Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picking This Year's Pale Ale Hop Blend  (Read 5110 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Picking This Year's Pale Ale Hop Blend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »
I'm partial to all Amarrillo
+1, although I'll sometimes do a little Nugget at 60 min. to get the IBUs I want at a reasonable price.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »
I have been able to get good aroma form five minute additions. I like to use flame out additions in APAs for aroma. I do dry hops some. I did a split batch once and dry hoped only half and I prefered the non-dry-hopped part.

I used a Simcoe-Palisade combo in a IPA and I really liked it. I thought is was better than the Big Sky or Anderson Valley examples of the style yet it scored in the low 30's at a comp on the west cost. The only things they said about it was it had too low hop flavor and aroma. I think the judges had their senses numbed by all the double IPAs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:10:10 pm by Malticulous »

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »
I am very fond of Simcoe, Ahtanum, and Amarillo ala Surly Furious.  Another combo that I like is, Simcoe, Centennial, and Amarillo.  I haven't had a chance to use some of the new citrusy varieties like Sorachi Ace or Citra, so I will likely experiment with them this year also in my APA/IPA's.  

I am going to do a couple of single hop IPA's to start 2011 with a Two Hearted clone and an all Chinook IPA, and possibly an all Summit that is similar to Griffin Spit (I am intrigued by the tangerine flavor).

J
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:23:01 pm by barliman »
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 06:35:23 pm »
If you love tangerines like I do, you'll love Summit.  I found that its flavor and aroma fades quickly (within 6 weeks), though.  Hopefully, you won't have a problem  ;)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »
Summit comes across to me as sweet. I'm also enjoying a IPA with it and Simcoe, Amarillo and Columbus. Tasty, but needs more Simcoe.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
Confession time, I've never dry hopped and have no real desire to.  I don't even do flameout additions, 5min is my minimum time for aroma.

I agree. While I sometimes dry hop, most times I think it is a waste of hops. Yes, you get some immediate aroma, but that diminishes too quickly for me.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 09:22:41 pm »
Confession time, I've never dry hopped and have no real desire to.  I don't even do flameout additions, 5min is my minimum time for aroma.

I agree. While I sometimes dry hop, most times I think it is a waste of hops. Yes, you get some immediate aroma, but that diminishes too quickly for me.

That's been my experience as well so far. 

But I'm wondering if maybe I'm not using enough to make a difference.  At the extreme example I've heard it said that Pliny the Elder gets some of it's mouthfeel and body perception from the hop oils infused into the beer from the huge amount of dry hopping.  I've never gone above about 1.5 ounces for a five gallon batch so I don't know.  But I'm curious to try this sometime.  Really hit a beer with 3-4 oz of dry hops and see if that makes any difference.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline djt17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 07:32:42 am »
You guys are going to think I am crazy; but, I just finished up an APA I bittered with Columbus (60 & 20 min) & finished with Saaz (12, 5 & 0 min). I used the Saaz because I wanted to use them up, turned out pretty good, a spicey APA.

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 08:26:40 am »
Earlier this year I made a pale ale with equal parts Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo for each hop addition.  Came out fantastic. 
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 11:42:57 am »
Glad to hear I'm not alone in my outlook on dry hopping.

Now for an admission.  I have that overly bitter APA in the keg, and more recently I brewed another that included British crystal instead of Briess, as well as a touch of special roast.  Lo and behold this brew is excellent, citrusy hops are center stage but the malt sweetness takes the edge off.  I looked at the amount and kinds of hops and to my surprise I used about the same hop schedule.  So I guess I've focused too much on hops being the source of the problem in that one recipe.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »
Yes, you get some immediate aroma, but that diminishes too quickly for me.

if you keg, try dryhopping in the keg, leaving the hops in the whole time. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »
Yes, you get some immediate aroma, but that diminishes too quickly for me.

if you keg, try dryhopping in the keg, leaving the hops in the whole time. 

Most Definitely!!  Cheers!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!