Author Topic: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tamp  (Read 12811 times)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tamp
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
Edit: Sorry to say I am PUI..."posting under the influence"...I've been drinking Bud Light, Sweetwater IPA, and homebrewed American Brown Ale. Forgive me?

Not for the Bud Light. No excuse for that.  :P But your relevant and cogent post makes up for it. :)
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
Edit: Sorry to say I am PUI..."posting under the influence"...I've been drinking Bud Light, Sweetwater IPA, and homebrewed American Brown Ale. Forgive me?

Not for the Bud Light. No excuse for that.  :P But your relevant and cogent post makes up for it. :)

Question: (this may require a separate post) How much Bud Light does it take to be "under the influence"? Not sure such a thing exist. May even be mitigating circumstances :'(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:32:48 PM by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
OK, some of you think that the 4th Amendment should be disregarded in the name of public safety.  How about we move down one Amendmant and try this one then:

US Constitution - Amendment 5 - Ratified 12/15/1791.
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »
OK, some of you think that the 4th Amendment should be disregarded in the name of public safety.  How about we move down one Amendmant and try this one then:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
punatic,

I agree, more than you will ever know, but this defense has been tried by more than one convict that refused to sign their 1040 form because by signing that "all the above statements are true" <paraphrased> would self convict someone if a mistake was made; penalties would have to be paid anyway. Sorry, it doesn't wash. Many things that happen on a highway, as opposed to private property, such as suspending a drivers license, are considered "administrative" instead of criminal.

The only way to change things you don't agree with is to elect legislators that can un-do what is already done. It's the world world we live in.

There is another way. People take the responsibility not to drive impaired. Then this discussion wouldn't exist. The we can get back to drinking! In our homes or with a designated driver, of course ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:47:59 PM by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

long before the invention of the automobile.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »

Not for the Bud Light. No excuse for that.  :P But your relevant and cogent post makes up for it. :)

Question: (this may require a separate post) How much Bud Light does it take to be "under the influence"? Not sure such a thing exist. May even be mitigating circumstances :'(

Dunno - I've never been able to get through one beer. ::)
Keith Y.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »

long before the invention of the automobile.

It has been long illegal to reign a horse intoxicated. Nothing has changed.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2011, 05:52:10 PM »
Believe me when I say there are probably few people who want to see drunk drivers kept off of the road more than I, but errosion of our Constitutional rights to achieve that goal is crazy and unnecessary.

Someone whom I admire greatly, Benjamin Franklin, put it very well, " They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

Dunno - I've never been able to get through one beer. ::)

OK... separate post started in The Pub asking "how low can you go?" Just to ensure we don't sidetrack our philosophical ruminations on this post.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:56:40 PM by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
I have only been to one DUI check point in my life and they didn't test everyone.  

That's nothing, I once went through the same DUI checkpoint three times in one night.
Joe

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
I haven't been through one in years, but the last time I did my parting words were, "Thank you for wasting my time". I don't he liked it. Actually, my wife didn't either, but that's another story.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »
Cops are just doing their job. No sense in giving them a hard time. I know you like to pay respects to our soldiers risking their lives over seas, and I appreciate that. Just remember cops (and firefighters) risk their lives here.
Keith Y.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:56 AM »
I didn't read the middle pages of the thread, but in NC refusal to take a breathalyzer is an automatic 1 year revocations of your driver's license.

Since we're in the pub, too many people feel like they have the right to something just because they live on the earth. Driving a car is a privilege, not a right.

As far as driving through the checkpoints, I've been through many in NC and once during college was definitely above the legal limit and SHOULD NOT have been driving. If you are calm with the officer and everything checks out they will generally let you on your merry way.

One night about 20 years ago I got stopped (blue lights, siren, over to the side) as the DD driving a friends car with a digital speedometer. The cops gave me grief and I did give them what for...they had no reason to stop me and I let them know I was within the speed limit and was driving as I should have been. Eventually they let us go, but I would guess the rookie that pulled us might have gotten an earful from her superior. Nowadays I'd probably have to throw out the "don't taze me bro" statement for good measure. ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »
Cops are just doing their job. No sense in giving them a hard time. I know you like to pay respects to our soldiers risking their lives over seas, and I appreciate that. Just remember cops (and firefighters) risk their lives here.

Big difference!!!  The soldiers are risking their lives to protect my freedom. The cops, in this case, are taking it away.

It's all about generating revenue for the city.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »

Big difference!!!  The soldiers are risking their lives to protect my freedom. The cops, in this case, are taking it away.

It's all about generating revenue for the city.

Really? So there are no murders, rapists, thieves, vandals or burglars in your area! Cool!
Keith Y.