Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me FWH my Kolsch  (Read 9948 times)

Offline woody

• Cellarman
Re: Help me FWH my Kolsch
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
I didn't notice any difference at the start of the boil.  I believe in noonan's book he suggests adding hops before the boil starts to help prevent boilovers.  The hops break the surface tension so it doesn't throw up a big hot break
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:28 pm »
I have 10 gallons of German pils that I FWH with hallertau

be sure to let me know what you think.  I am finishing up the second keg of a GP with Hallertau and Tettnang as the FWH.

It had been about 2 years since I had FWHed as I had actively moved away from this method, so I figured I would give it a go again to see if anything had changed.  Nope, same result - I just don't like it, doesn't work for me.

This pils had much less hop flavor and much more hop bite than my last where I used a traditional hop schedule (same hops, yeast and malt bill, just switched my 2oz of 20 min Hall and Tett to FWH).  Granted, not a scientific experiment in the least - lots of variables at play, but it was enough evidence doesn't make sense for me to use it anymore.

I'm interested to hear what your impressions are, Keith, when you remember to do it next time.  ;)
Just starting to try out my FWH German Pils (1 oz hallertau for 10 gallons)     Agreed, it has too sharp of a hop bite.   The regular hop schedule I used last time was a lot softer (and better!)   Not that its terrible mind you, its just a little too much. 
 If there is one benefit, the wife didn't care much for the sharpnesss so I've got 2 kegs of Pilsner to myself!   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline vpsihop1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »
Agreed, it has too sharp of a hop bite.   The regular hop schedule I used last time was a lot softer (and better!)
  this is interesting ive found just the opposite on a DIPA and ESB i did. way smooth bitterness (to much so on teh DIPA) and intense flavor.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 04:26:23 pm »
I already stated in another thread:
I did FWH with Hallertau and Saaz in couple of beers.
All of them had quite harsh hop aftertaste.
I do not consider this very pleasing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:42:17 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »
My (admittedly one) experience w/ FWHing, tasted yummy, but the boil seemed like it really wanted to boil over, much more than when I just add bittering hops.  Anyone else notice this, or am I all wet?

Adding hops prior to the boil helps with those issues from what I know.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 05:48:06 am »
When you add hops before the boil the hops tend to coat the surface of the wort and this can cause a lot of tension to build under the "hop blanket" and it can almost explode if you don't keep an eye on it. I have a 14 gallon kettle and I fill it up almost to the top. I stand there while it is trying to boil and use my spoon to break up the surface tension, and I also turn down the heat right when the first sign of surface aggravation appears. Very rarely do I ever have much of a boil over - sometimes a little foam manages to spill over the lip.

Now, if I am not watching it I will certainly have a boil over and doubly so with FWH beers, which would be bad because no telling how much hops you will lose.