Author Topic: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?  (Read 7638 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
Wow its hard to believe those malts weren't available twelve years ago.  Of course his research was probably based on experiences from another ten to twenty years prior, with no internet.

I do think 5% crystal in an alt isn't a bad level is it?  Thats what was in his altstadt recipe.  Thats a pretty modest amount.

I started brewing in March of 1998, just under 13 years ago.  I've seen a huge increase in the availability of ingredients in that time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
And Denny's Milo alt has no crystal.

It used to.  the original recipe used 1/2-1 lb., IIRC.  I'll have to dig up the recipe to double check.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
I stumbled over this a little while ago.
http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/18

I was actually looking for Alt with no crystal because right now I only have a little Pilsner and Munich malt. The Alts I've made before used about 5% of Caramunich.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:15 AM »
Major and Kai - what do you find the crystal malt additions add to your beer that you wouldn't get with a very high percentage (80+%) of Munich, or a combo of Munich 1 and 2 with some Carafa Special to adjust color?

The reason I ask is I have set a goal this year to brew the perfect Alt, or at least close to it, and I am looking for all the suggestions/advice I can get. 

Thanks in advance.

My recipe uses a blend of Vienna and Munich as the base malt and a touch of carafa to make it darker. I like the malt back bone that the blend of cara vienne and cara munich gives the beer. I mash relatively low (150-152 for about 90 minutes) and the beer finishes out fairly dry in spite of all the crystal.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
I knew I should've let Denny report on his recipe, sorry.  I was going off this '09 report.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80186&p=749514&hilit=Milo+alt#p749514
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
I've been a long-term fan of Al Korzonas' Alt recipe that is 89% Munich malt and 11% Aromatic malt with a big charge of Spalt hops at 90 minutes. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »
Wow its hard to believe those malts weren't available twelve years ago.  Of course his research was probably based on experiences from another ten to twenty years prior, with no internet.

I do think 5% crystal in an alt isn't a bad level is it?  Thats what was in his altstadt recipe.  Thats a pretty modest amount.

I started brewing in March of 1998, just under 13 years ago.  I've seen a huge increase in the availability of ingredients in that time.

Couldn't you have just kilned some of your base malt though?  Assuming you could get the fire started by rubbing two sticks together.

Man the good alt recipes are coming out of the woodwork now, I love it!

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »
Personally, I detest Rogue beers because of all the crystal malt.

Well, chumster, I would hazzard a guess that you are in the minority.

The point I was getting at is, that much crystal is not necessarily a bad thing. I would think Rogue gets away with it because of the high attenuation of their Pacman yeast. And to relate this to the topic, consider that one of the parameters for an alt is high attenuation. Along the lines of 80% I do believe. Low temp and a longer mash will aid in attenuation for an alt along with a healthy pitching rate. Mine have always ended up in the range of 77-82% AA.

Now with that said, I rarely use any more than 5 to 10% crystal in my alt grist bills, if at all. My favorite recipe continues to be 100% Munich malt, (with just a touch of carafa to get the colour right), all Spalt hops and Wyeast 1007. It is delicious!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
I guess I'll put it out there that I'm not a huge Rogue fan either, though I certainly don't "detest" their beers. Just not a huge fan. I do like there Imperial India Pale Ale, but that beer does not use much crystal.  ;) I also like the Shakespeare Stout fairly well, when I'm in the mood for a stout. Which isn't very often.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
I stumbled over this a little while ago.
http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/18

I was actually looking for Alt with no crystal because right now I only have a little Pilsner and Munich malt. The Alts I've made before used about 5% of Caramunich.

That's the old recipe.  These days I use no crystal only Munich and pils malts and Sinamar for color.

www.dennybrew.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
I've been a long-term fan of Al Korzonas' Alt recipe that is 89% Munich malt and 11% Aromatic malt with a big charge of Spalt hops at 90 minutes. 

That was the recipe that got me to go all grain!

www.dennybrew.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
Couldn't you have just kilned some of your base malt though?  Assuming you could get the fire started by rubbing two sticks together.

Why, I oughta.....;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:31 AM »
Well....I don't detest "all" of Rogue's beers, just most of them. The Morimoto Imperial pilsner is a dandy beer, and I can stomach Brutal Bitter once a while when I have a taste for a sweet ale. ;)

The worst, though, is "Dead Guy Ale", which I think is actually billed as an alt.  I do detest that beer. I dislike their Irish lager as well.

I used to be a fan of the Al K recipe, but I had a series of disappointing string of beers with it when I changed Munich malts (unwillingly, DWC malt was discontinued). I should give that a try again sometime.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
I make my D-Altbier using:

83% Pils
10% Munich
5% Caramunich
2% Carafa

I use a double decoction although a single infusion works well too. I like the very slight roastiness from the carafa in this recipe. I can't keep it on tap very long as my family and friends love this one.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:45:13 AM by bluesman »
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Well....I don't detest "all" of Rogue's beers, just most of them. The Morimoto Imperial pilsner is a dandy beer, and I can stomach Brutal Bitter once a while when I have a taste for a sweet ale. ;)

The worst, though, is "Dead Guy Ale", which I think is actually billed as an alt.  I do detest that beer. I dislike their Irish lager as well.

I used to be a fan of the Al K recipe, but I had a series of disappointing string of beers with it when I changed Munich malts (unwillingly, DWC malt was discontinued). I should give that a try again sometime.

Dead Guy is called a maibock, but I know that John realizes it's not.  But Dead Guy does for Rogue what Fat Tire does for NB....allows them to make some other really great beers.

Funny you like the Impy pils....for me, that's one that's too sweet.

www.dennybrew.com