Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?  (Read 18235 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:39 am »
I likr Rogue beer fine - particularly brutal bitter/ipa and their imperial stout and imperial ysb. That being said, I am never willing to spend $10.99 for a sixer of Rogue (or Stone) when I can buy equally-good beer with unpainted bottles for $6.99-7.99.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 05:53:56 am »
I guess part of the thing with Rogue for me is that they don't have freshness dates on their beer (at least, they didn't used to, not sure about now). Had too many beers from than that sat on the shelf way too long. One of the most important ingredients to me in a beer is "freshness". I just don't care for old tasting beer.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 07:51:27 am »
I kegged my first real attempt at alt last night.  The FG was 1.015 (OG 1.051), I guess my decoction mash and the use of caramunich and cararoma did bring more body to the beer.  It wasn't overly sweet so I can live with the 70% attenuation.  It does have a borderline roasty note to it though.  The wife described the flavor as coffee, I thought it was slightly chocolate but with a roasty hint.  I used the equivalent of 3oz of carafa special 1, I suppose this is the source of the flavor?  I'm brewing another tonight, doing an all light Munich base with 5% Caramunich 1.

I also detected just a hint of sulfur in the beer, I purged it a few times with CO2 as I was putting the keg on gas to try and get rid of that.  Hopefully that'll dissipate during lagering.  Its in the lager fridge at 30F now, I'll give it as long as possible before breaking it out.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 08:03:09 am »
I also detected just a hint of sulfur in the beer, I purged it a few times with CO2 as I was putting the keg on gas to try and get rid of that.  Hopefully that'll dissipate during lagering.  Its in the lager fridge at 30F now, I'll give it as long as possible before breaking it out.

one thing to try (majorvices helped me with this a couple years back) is to hook the gas up to the beer side and bubble the CO2 up through the beer - will help release some of the sulfur.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
It will dissipate during lagering.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
I kegged my first real attempt at alt last night.  The FG was 1.015 (OG 1.051), I guess my decoction mash and the use of caramunich and cararoma did bring more body to the beer.  It wasn't overly sweet so I can live with the 70% attenuation.  It does have a borderline roasty note to it though.  The wife described the flavor as coffee, I thought it was slightly chocolate but with a roasty hint.  I used the equivalent of 3oz of carafa special 1, I suppose this is the source of the flavor?  I'm brewing another tonight, doing an all light Munich base with 5% Caramunich 1.

I'd recommend no more than an oz. of carafa.  I've switched to Sinamar for coloring alts and prefer that to carafa.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:25 am »
one thing to try (majorvices helped me with this a couple years back) is to hook the gas up to the beer side and bubble the CO2 up through the beer - will help release some of the sulfur.

That's how I always carbonate my kegs.  I really didn't smell sulfur when I purged the gas a few times so I think its going to be fine.

[I'd recommend no more than an oz. of carafa.  I've switched to Sinamar for coloring alts and prefer that to carafa.

I avoided it entirely this time.  Its not the roasty note is overwhelming or unpleasant, I just think it is out of place for the style.  I may get some sinemar, or at least add carafa late in the mash if the color is needed.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
Another general alt question.  Why do so many recipes use a combination of pils and munich malt, when a light munich is only 6-7L anyway?  Is all munich too overpowering in terms of the flavor?  I was going to try that Al K recipe but found I was out of Aromatic.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm "virtual-brewing", I do intend to try these different approaches to find out what I like best.  Just can't do a real brew while I'm here at work.  This morning I did weigh and crush the grist, load it in the MLT, and put my water and brewing salts in the pot so I can heat and mash as soon as I get home.  I even considered an all-day mash but I think I want to keep using a mash schedule that leaves a little more body.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:43:55 am by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:36 am »
Another general alt question.  Why do so many recipes use a combination of pils and munich malt, when a light munich is only 6-7L anyway?  Is all munich too overpowering in terms of the flavor?  I was going to try that Al K recipe but found I was out of Aromatic.

Probably because most of the Dusseldorf alts are made that way including Zum Uerige which a lot of people will name as the archetype or their favorite (and AFAIK the only altstadt beer available in the US).

Schumacher is all light munich and is distinctive because of it.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
The fellow I talked to at Zum Uerige in '02 while he was shoveling grain said pils malz, caramalz, farbe malz.  Might have been the guy who Denny has referred ot on the HBD - the brewer - who's recipe looks like that.

I talked with Al K at the Chicago NHC about that, and he said that he may have misunderstood.  I get Munich malt in the Schumacher Alt, but not in the Zum Uerige.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:05 am »
The fellow I talked to at Zum Uerige in '02 while he was shoveling grain said pils malz, caramalz, farbe malz.  Might have been the guy who Denny has referred ot on the HBD - the brewer - who's recipe looks like that.

I talked with Al K at the Chicago NHC about that, and he said that he may have misunderstood.  I get Munich malt in the Schumacher Alt, but not in the Zum Uerige.

Yeah I meant Zum Uerige uses a pilsner malt base not specifically a pilsner and munich grist.

Shumacher was my favorite and how I thought alt would taste when I first heard about it (a highly hopped copper colored top fermenting German beer). They were all good though. Very high on my list of places to go back to.

Offline jasoncap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »
Tom,

I use about 2-3 oz of Carafa Special (along with 80%+ Munich and usually some Pale Ale Malt) in my alts and I have never picked up a roasty note from that small amount.  Maybe I don't have that sensitive a palate?   Was that 2-3 oz in a 5 gallon batch?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »
My grist was:

53.4% pils
35.6% light Munich
4.4% caramunich 1
2.2% cararoma
2.2% melanoidin
2.2% carafa special 2

I thought the roasty flavor came from the carafa but it could be a combination effect.  And if lagering tames it down a bit it might be more in the realm of toffee than coffee.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2011, 09:17:13 pm »
CaraAroma has a toasty notes.
I would leave it out.
Another trick is to add Carafa Special to the mash out.
This will reduce contact time and gives you the color but reduce roastines.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:49 am »
CaraAroma has a toasty notes.
I would leave it out.
Another trick is to add Carafa Special to the mash out.
This will reduce contact time and gives you the color but reduce roastines.

Could I add the Carafa Special just prior to batch sparging and let the sparge water soak for 5 or 10 minutes before draining?