Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?  (Read 18233 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dornbusch's Advice for Alt?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
Yes, you can do that.  Personally, I find Sinamar much easier to use, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
Where are you getting sinemar Denny?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:38 am »

At my LHBS.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 01:15:57 pm »
Wow, this whole thread has really inspired me! Like Denny, a guess in about 12-13 years and over 300 batches you would think I have brewed an Alt at some point! Nope. Never...

I'll be brewing up Kai's recipe this weekend.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

At my LHBS.
Must be nice-my closest LHBS is 200 miles away and they had never heard of lambics or sour beers, the possibility of them having Sinemar is laughable.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 06:16:25 pm »
Another general alt question.  Why do so many recipes use a combination of pils and munich malt, when a light munich is only 6-7L anyway?  Is all munich too overpowering in terms of the flavor?  I was going to try that Al K recipe but found I was out of Aromatic.

They use the pils malt "for the enzymes" according to a recipe I have seen from a German Brewmaster a few years back. Some may argue whether or not this is necessary. But I would recommend never arguing with a German Brewmaster.  ;)

Also, I mispoke about my grain bill earlier. That was an old recipe. My grain bill for my alt is Vienna, Munich, pilsner, cara munich and a touch of carafa special. And I prefer the carafa special to the sinmar, personally.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
Yes, you can do that.  Personally, I find Sinamar much easier to use, though.

Easy but not cheap!  Does easy trump cheap (I am kidding here Denny)?

Wait a minute. Hey, this is about 1/2 of what I paid for the stuff at the LHBS.  Not too bad for 4 oz.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sinamar

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »
Ah, just finished the longest brew day of my life! Looks like it will be a perfect brew too using Kai's Alt recipe. I hadn't realized how slow a 100% Munich base malt mash would take to convert but Scotty, it's all she's got now... Dang you Kai! My arms are friggin worn out! The color is spot on to your recipe. It's happily fermenting away now...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:12 am »
Ya know, I keep hearing about how difficult and/or slow it is for a 100% Munich grist to convert, yet I've done it may times (using both domestic and continental Munich) and haven't experience it myself.  What am I doing wrong?  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 09:03:36 am »
Ya know, I keep hearing about how difficult and/or slow it is for a 100% Munich grist to convert, yet I've done it may times (using both domestic and continental Munich) and haven't experience it myself.  What am I doing wrong?  ;)

You using the traditional chicha mash method?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:37 am »
Could be a brand thing. Weyermann Munich I, for example, seems to convert easily at 100%. Also could be that your water happens to give a pH close to the optimum for alpha amalyse. I know you are an advocate of a fine crush for batch sparging, that could allow the enzymes to get into solution and active sooner.

Kai has used more Munich malts than me (I aways use the two Weyermann ones and I always use a bit of pilsner with Weyermann II) and he has complained about problems getting some of them to convert, so I think it is primarily brand/type.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:26 am »
I brewed my dopple alt this weekend with 15 pounds of Munich, 10 pounds Pilsner, 6 oz's of carafa special and 1 pound of Caravienne for a 10 gallon batch.  I was really surprised how dark it turned out.  My son gave me a couple of bottles of Uerige sticke dopple alt and it's very dark too, so maybe I'm not too far off.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:18 am »
Could be a brand thing. Weyermann Munich I, for example, seems to convert easily at 100%. Also could be that your water happens to give a pH close to the optimum for alpha amalyse. I know you are an advocate of a fine crush for batch sparging, that could allow the enzymes to get into solution and active sooner.

Kai has used more Munich malts than me (I aways use the two Weyermann ones and I always use a bit of pilsner with Weyermann II) and he has complained about problems getting some of them to convert, so I think it is primarily brand/type.

Good points on water and crush.  I've used Great Western, Weyermann II, Best II and a couple other continental dark Munichs I can't think of at the moment.  Never had a problem wiht any of them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »
I have a similar experience with Munich II 100% mashes as Denny but I step mash.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com