Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423205 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4380 on: April 13, 2024, 10:38:07 am »
I am making a 1 gal micro-batch of traditional standard strength, still, sweet mead (hydromel) this afternoon using Orange Blossom honey and US-05.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4381 on: April 13, 2024, 10:46:24 am »
I am making a 1 gal micro-batch of traditional standard strength, still, sweet mead (hydromel) this afternoon using Orange Blossom honey and US-05.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
Hydromel and “standard strength” seem at odds with each other since a hydromel is a session strength mead, often 6-8% vs a standard 11-14%. What is your target abv?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4382 on: April 13, 2024, 12:47:54 pm »
I stand corrected. I should not have said hydromel.

I am aiming for 10%.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4383 on: April 13, 2024, 04:38:49 pm »
Sounds nice. As a beekeeper I imagine the RIS quite a selection of local honey around your way. I will be feeding my bees for another month up here.
I highly recommend giving hydromel a try. I have been on a roll with them lately. It’s nice to have something fermenter to keg in a couple weeks and they can be very tast while naturally relatively low in calories and carbs.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4384 on: April 18, 2024, 08:03:39 am »
Batch #2 with Omega 113 is coming up this evening.  A pale, gold Mexican lager for warm weather refreshment.  Avangard Pils, Vienna, Flaked corn, Magnum and Hallertau hops and 113 Mexican.  I call it Cabana Lager and I've probably been brewing it for close to 20 years.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline vandarsar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4385 on: April 19, 2024, 12:44:11 am »
Hello everyone, love from Helsinki, I've got a Kaffee Vienna Larger fermenting under pressure.

This is my third day, and the yeasts have mostly fallen off of the solution.

When I tapped the apparently cabbed beer, it tasted a bit watery, which got me confused and worried. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

The recipe also calls for 0.5oz magnum, which I found too little. Do you think I should add more during fermentation? btw, I'm brewing a 23-litre batch

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4386 on: April 19, 2024, 12:43:53 pm »
Brewed my first beer of the year this morning. A relatively "normal" IPA compared to my last few (which focused primarily on some new extract products and missed the mark). This was 100% Golden Promise, with Cryo Mosaic, and Lupomax Talus and Mckenzie steeped and dry hopped.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4387 on: April 19, 2024, 04:18:39 pm »
Brewed my first beer of the year this morning. A relatively "normal" IPA compared to my last few (which focused primarily on some new extract products and missed the mark). This was 100% Golden Promise, with Cryo Mosaic, and Lupomax Talus and Mckenzie steeped and dry hopped.

what kind of new extract products? i havent had great luck with them as a direct substitute for an all-grain beer yet, but want to know if theres improvements out there.

Hello everyone, love from Helsinki, I've got a Kaffee Vienna Larger fermenting under pressure.

This is my third day, and the yeasts have mostly fallen off of the solution.

When I tapped the apparently cabbed beer, it tasted a bit watery, which got me confused and worried. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

The recipe also calls for 0.5oz magnum, which I found too little. Do you think I should add more during fermentation? btw, I'm brewing a 23-litre batch

hello there, not sure about the times on pressurized fermentations but 3 days into fermentation?

did you note an OG?

if you missed your OG by a lot it could be "watery". and yes 0.5oz magnum for a 23 litre is very little imho, you'd probably end up around 15IBU if in at 60mins.

also, maybe you mean it is not carbonated yet?

it will probably take more time for either forced carbonation to take hold or if bottle fermented for the co2 to dissolve in the beer.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4388 on: April 20, 2024, 07:19:18 am »
Brewing my American Brown Ale tomorrow.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4389 on: April 20, 2024, 12:47:53 pm »

what kind of new extract products? i havent had great luck with them as a direct substitute for an all-grain beer yet, but want to know if theres improvements out there.

Hop extracts (Spectrum and Incognito,  primarily), not malt extracts.

Malt extract can make good beer, but I find they work best in styles where the extract isn't the featured ingredient, such as IPA/APA and stout/porter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4390 on: April 22, 2024, 03:41:41 pm »
More Mexican lagers coming up this weekend .. this time a dark lager.  Pilsner, Vienna, flaked corn, Carafa III, Magnum and Hallertau hops, Omega 113 Mexican.  Think Dos Equis Amber, Negra Modelo or Indio.  Dark and smooth, goes well with food, etc.   A shot from a batch brewed in 2021 ...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.