Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spent Grain Crackers  (Read 9988 times)

Offline dwarven_stout

• 1st Kit
Spent Grain Crackers
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
Here's a recipe for wheat thin-esque crackers to go with the cheese that everyone's wives make in their boil kettles (I can't be the only one...  :P). The recipe originally came from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor, and I modified and adapted to spent grain.

Seriously, these are tasty. This is one of my favorite things to do with spent grain.

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup spent grain
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar or honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

1) Pulse the wet spent grain in a food processor for 30 seconds or until finely chopped.
2) Mix together all ingredients.
3) Turn out onto floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and shiny, not sticky. Add water or flour as needed.
4) Let rest at room temperature for at least 20m and as long as overnight.
5) Roll out dough to desired thickness (I go around 1/8 inch) and cut into crackers
6) Bake for 20-25m at 300 degrees until golden brown and crisp. Leave on cookie sheet to cool- crackers will continue to crisp up there.

Makes ~3dozen

If you want toppings on your crackers, you can egg-wash them before baking and top with sesame seeds, whole spent grain or other seeds. For toppings like salt, pepper, cinnamon sugar, spray the crackers with a quick shot of oil (Pam will work) right out of the oven and sprinkle.

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
Re: Spent Grain Crackers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:17:06 pm »
I tried this recipe on Superbowl Sunday.

I brewed up a Pilsner on Saturday and used my spent Dingeman's Caramel in this recipe. I followed it pretty much to a T except my dough would not rise. Regardless, I rolled them out and baked them anyway.

They turned out ok, nothing amazing, but they were tasty, a lil hard, but tasty. They were kind of like a thick flat bread cracker sorta thing. I actually used them in my chili. I dipped and ate chili off them or let them sit in the chili to soften up a little bit. I really dig this sort of thing, the more I can utilize the parts of my brew the better.

If anyone else has any more spent grain recipes, please post them. I'd love to give them a try.

Thanks

Mike

http://www.mikesbrewreview.com

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:29 am »
I bet those would be good, and a decent way to use spent grain. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:15:33 am »
I learn something everyday on this forum. Probably a pretty healthy snack too.
Ron Price

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:01 am »
They turned out ok, nothing amazing, but they were tasty, a lil hard, but tasty. They were kind of like a thick flat bread cracker sorta thing. I actually used them in my chili. I dipped and ate chili off them or let them sit in the chili to soften up a little bit. I really dig this sort of thing, the more I can utilize the parts of my brew the better.

I had similar results.  I also added extra salt and pepper.  Helped with the flavor.  I have another batch of grains from last weekend that I'm going to experiment with trying to get the to crisp without hardening and maybe get a bit of rise out of them as well.  I will post up any good results.

And also interested in any other good recipes.  Would like a good bread recipe if any one has one.
Founding member, California Street Brewery