Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good price, quality stainless pans?  (Read 6844 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Good price, quality stainless pans?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 12:17:05 pm »
If you Really want to know the quality of clad pans or pots, put a pint or so of water in the pan bring it to a boil and add a teaspoon of baking soda and stir.  Remove about half a teaspoon of the liquid and cool... then taste.  Keep a minty piece of candy handy though because if your cookware has a lot of aluminum leaching through it will taste nasty as hell.  A good quality stainless pot or pan won't change the flavor of the water.  

I used to sell pots and pans, I used to love it when someone told me how great their cookware was and they had bought theirs for a fraction of the price for mine... then they'd do the taste test...  ;D  :D  Its like everything else... you get what you pay for.  

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 02:09:28 pm »

Hmm, I'll have to get some fresh baking soda. Not the stuff sitting in my fridge.
What cookware did you sell? I've seen some pretty pricey stuff, like Neova (Vitamix).
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
I used to sell Towncraft.  If they made a 40 or 60 quart pot thats what I'd want but I sure as hell wouldn't drill it, I'd siphon from it unless I could get them to fabricate it special for me.  I really wonder if some of the brew pots already made are as good?  Only a test would tell.

Here is a link but its not really helpful probably...
http://www.townecraft.net/deluxeset.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:25:21 pm by dean »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:33 pm »
Those look similar to my mother's "Lifetime" set.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 01:35:55 am »
Never one for sets but any stainless steel skillet, saucepan or stockpot needs a thick clad botton IMO. Preferably copper. Mine match despite being different brands.  ???

Nonstick doesn't have the longevity and generally can't handle the abuse of normal cooking without a good silicon spatula.

Also I only need a few kitchen knives which I hand-sharpen on aluminum oxide and hone with a steel. A decent buy is the Henckel Fine Edge Pro. Holds an edge and easy to sharpen for a $30 knife.

My best and sharpest knife cost me $7 at the Asian market. Despite being hollow ground it holds an edge sharp enough to shave with.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis