Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I brew Ales at ambient temps in 50's  (Read 11673 times)

Offline maineyanks

• 1st Kit
Can I brew Ales at ambient temps in 50's
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but I am ready to brew my first beer. However, I have a very cold house- live in Maine and keep my house at 52-55 degrees. I would brew in basement which has stable temp of 55 degrees.  Can I brew ales at this ambient temp?  I am not as interested in brewing lagers.  My first beer is going to be a Belgian triple and yeast states 64-72 as best temp. I don't care if it takes longer to ferment at these temps, but don't want to kill the yeast.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Can I brew Ales at ambient temps in 50's
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:53:25 pm »
With some insulation you can get the fementation temp into the 60s during the most active part of fermentation. However, the problem will become the final part of the fermentation when the yeast needs to ferment the last sugars and clean up off-flavors. At that time the temperature will drop back into the 50s.

What's your bugdet for temp control? Some brewers place the carboy in a water bath heated with an aquarium heater. I use a heating blanked under the carboy controlled by a programable thermostat.

Kai

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »
I've brewed at 57F fermentation temp with Nottingham yeast and had great success with it.  The only problem is that once fermentation slows down I let it warm up so you may have to move your fermenter to someplace warmer.  Another option is a fermenter heater of some sort like Fermwrap, or just a heating pad you can set the fermenter on top of.
I just finished making a cider in a room with an ambient temp of under 50F by sitting the carboy on top of a cheap heating pad.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline maineyanks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »

What's your bugdet for temp control? Some brewers place the carboy in a water bath heated with an aquarium heater. I use a heating blanked under the carboy controlled by a programable thermostat.

Kai
[/quote]

I keep my house at 55 degrees - so, I'm pretty cheap!!!  Actually, budget really isn't a factor. I suppose if it is difficult to brew at these temps, I need to invest. I don't want to wait until summer to brew. I was thinking about an aquarium heater, but maybe a Fermwrap would be easier and cleaner/drier.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:25:39 pm »
I think there are some low cost ideas for fermentation temp
control. At the more expensive end is a heating blanket on a Ranco controller. That may run you about $80-90 (65-75 for the controller and $15 for the heating blanket).

Or you choose strains that work at this temperature. What about fermenting an ale recipe with a lager yeast? Or use a low temp tolerant ale yeast like the German Alt yeast WY1007.

Kai

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:52:45 am »
It's probably worth looking at some lagers that you may not have been exposed to, too.  Bocks aren't what people usually associate with a lager when they're just starting out.  I find that Belgians really want a warmer temperature the whole way through.  I put a carboy in a broken chest freezer with a shop light when I want to get the temp up at the end.  A sweatshirt on top of and under a carboy is a nice way to add a few degrees, too.  When I'm fermenting a lot in the winter, my basement brew room looks like it's having a frat party.

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:28 am »
OP, are you dead-set on brewing a Belgian style?  If so, you are probably going to need to do something to increase your fermentation temperature.  There are several styles that might work perfectly in your environment without additional equipment: An altbier, or a kolsch, or maybe a Scotch Ale.  Among the WYeast strains you might consider 1007 German Ale, 1728 Scotch Ale, or 2565 Kolsch.  It might be an interesting experiment to try Belgian Triple ingredients with the 1728, which is very alcohol tolerant.  I have no idea how it would turn out; might be great or might suck big time.  I would only do that if (like me) you take a very casual attitude about brewing to style.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:21:56 am »
[It might be an interesting experiment to try Belgian Triple ingredients with the 1728, which is very alcohol tolerant.  I have no idea how it would turn out; might be great or might suck big time.  I would only do that if (like me) you take a very casual attitude about brewing to style.
[/quote]

It would have virtually none of the esters or phenolics that identify  beer as Belgian.  It isn't so much about hitting a style as brewing what you intended to brew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:41:53 am »
It would have virtually none of the esters or phenolics that identify  beer as Belgian.  It isn't so much about hitting a style as brewing what you intended to brew.
+1.  & those characteristics are quite temperature dependent.  However, the OP asked if he could "brew ales at ambient temps in the '50s".  I would have to say 'Yes, absolutely!'  If he had asked if he could brew Belgian style ales at those temps, I'd say 'No way!'
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »
There's no problem fermenting ales in the 50s...I routinely ferment my alt at 52F (or even a bit less) with WY1007.  That same yeast would make a great APA or AIPA.  But when you say "Belgian tripel ingredients", to me that includes the yeast, since that is just about the key ingredient in a tripel.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 01:13:35 pm »
There's no problem fermenting ales in the 50s...I routinely ferment my alt at 52F (or even a bit less) with WY1007.  That same yeast would make a great APA or AIPA.  But when you say "Belgian tripel ingredients", to me that includes the yeast, since that is just about the key ingredient in a tripel.
Even if you could get something like WY3522 or 3787 to ferment at those temperatures, I doubt if they would give you the esters & phenolics you want.  Best bet would be increase fermentation temperature or choose a different style.  Nothing wrong with choosing the style you brew based on ambient conditions.  People have been doing that for years.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with choosing the style you brew based on ambient conditions.  People have been doing that for years.

I absolutely agree...that's why I brew lagers in the winter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 04:20:25 pm »
Nothing wrong with choosing the style you brew based on ambient conditions.  People have been doing that for years.

I absolutely agree...that's why I brew lagers in the winter.

That's where all these styles came from.  ;) That and local water profiles and wild yeast strains.

Experience says US-05 can handle those temps. YMMV.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline maineyanks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:15:47 pm »
Great information. I appreciate all the knowledge. I suppose I should hold off on a triple until we warm up here in Maine( maybe in May). I think I'll consider more of an AIPA or scotch ale here in the winter.

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:38 am »
Denny... getting back to your comment about the Wyeast 1007 Alt yeast.  Why do you say it would make a good IPA yeast?  I love IPA's and would like to make mine better.