Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I brew Ales at ambient temps in 50's  (Read 11581 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Can I brew Ales at ambient temps in 50's
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 05:08:46 am »
I start S05 around 55F if I am going for a really clean ale.  I've had very good luck with 1728 down at lower temps as well, I make a decent size starter and rouse the yeast a few times, (1728 is very floccuant might not attenuate as far otherwise).

Personally I keep my fermentation room at 50F in the winter and it's great.  I have a water bath (large storage bin big enough for two carboys, $8) with an aquarium heater with a built in thermostat (on sale at a pet store for $30).  The plastic housing broke off the thermostat which allows me to turn it below the 70-95F range, though it takes a little trial an error.  I'm holding 63F right now because that is as low as I can take WLP002, I'm guessing a Belgian yeast is going to have similar issues this cold but I haven't tried.

You could also make a fermwrap for $15 with a dimmer switch in the circuit.  I can't recommend a Brew Belt since both I've purchased failed on me pretty quickly.

Both these options are only like $.10/beer if you make a couple batches which is cheap if you consider what you are saving in heating bills vs the $50+labor you are risking in making a bad batch.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
The local Rock Bottom brewer made a really nice Tripel using 1728, but I'm sure he didn't ferment it at a low temperature.

The official conference beer for the '08 NHC was an imperial cream ale fermented with WLP001 (California Ale) at 57°. The brewer had no trouble getting it to ferment out without raising the temperature, despite a starting gravity somewhere around 1.085 (I'd have to dig deep into the archives to fins the exact number).

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:03 am »
Just wanted to add in that I think I get some selective breeding with yeast when I ferment cold.  Usually the first gen takes a while, the 2nd seems faster and the 3rd gets going really fast.

There's a lot of other variables but this is something I have been observing recently.