General Category > Beer Recipes

Scottish 60 Help

(1/3) > >>

ndcube:
I'm thinking of doing this with just 3% roasted barley and enough MO to get a gravity of 1.031.  Haven't decided on hops yet.

My question is what should my mash temp be?  I've never made anything this light before and I'm afraid of it drying out.

Also, is boiling down part of the first runnings desirable with this style?

I'm open to other tips as well.

Thanks.

babalu87:

--- Quote from: ndcube on December 01, 2009, 11:32:37 AM ---I'm thinking of doing this with just 3% roasted barley and enough MO to get a gravity of 1.031.  Haven't decided on hops yet.

My question is what should my mash temp be?  I've never made anything this light before and I'm afraid of it drying out.

Also, is boiling down part of the first runnings desirable with this style?

I'm open to other tips as well.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I boiled down a gallon of the first runnings of the second runnings of a Scottish partigyle this past weekend.
Even though the eventual beer was just wort it did have a richness to it.

I'd mash pretty high 155-158

ndcube:
Thanks babalu.

What was your water profile like?

hamiltont:
I did a partigyle - Strong Scotch Ale & 80/- a couple weeks ago & mashed at 153.  I boiled down a gallon for the Strong but not for the 80/-.  Hops were Northern Brewer @ 60 & 30 for both. Yeast = WYEAST 1728 Scottish Ale

dhacker:
Supplementary question . . .

When you boil down a gallon of the 1st runnings, what final volume are you trying to achieve? Or is it strictly based on time . . like 30 minutes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version