Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How low can you go?  (Read 8581 times)

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
How low can you go?
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »
So to what low will you sink in regards to beer drinking? Are there some beers you just won't drink?

As admitted on another post, I'll drink Bud Light. Heck, I've even drank Bud Light Lime on a golf course.
But I won't drink malt liquor. No way. No Olde English 800, No Schlitz, no Clot 45.

What about you?
Iron City? Schaffer's? Natty Light? PBR? Hamms? Natural Light?

Come on...confession is good for the soul. Fess up.
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: How low can you go?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »
You need to take PBR outta that list. Them's fightin' words >:( >:( >:(
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
As seen written on a quote board at McGuire's Irish Pub,

"Life is too short to drink bad beer!" 
Carrie Nation

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »
You need to take PBR outta that list. Them's fightin' words >:( >:( >:(

You South Carolinians...always quick to jump to the fight! (Remember Fort Sumter?)

In defense of PBR, a can of it went with my dad to his grave, nicely tucked under his hand.
He once asked one of my brothers if he had any beer in his truck, my brother said yes but it's hot. My father took it anyway, popped it open, took a sip and said, "Ahhh, perfect drinking temperature!"
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
Years ago when work was slow and I was dead assed broke I bought a 12 pack of Schaeffer for about $3.00 figuring it was better than nothing,  Wrong.  Every morning before work I'd drainpour the half can I wasn't able to finish the night before.  Now if I can't afford or find decent beer I'll drink iced tea or coffee.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:08:51 am by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »
i have said many times.  i still like, yes actually like, budweiser,  :-\, i really don't like guiness. oh, i really struggle when someone offers wine. ugh
Don AHA member

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:33:42 pm »
I drink budweiser as well.  mostly at sporting events or other outings where the selection are just the primary 4 or 5 big commercial lagers.  Sometimes just around the house and garage I'll go cheap and buy budweiser.  I dont care for any of the lightbeers, but if someone offered I wouldnt say no.  I dont buy them, but I do think coors light is the best of the lot.  As for Mickeys, Colt45, and the like.  Not so much. 

I'm not a beer snob, and I am very far from a beer nazi.  But I am not exactly a beer slut either.  maybe a lil bit beer slut. 

PBR has a great grassroots marketing program.  nice to see an old label get revitalized like that.  Maybe there is hope for Olympia. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:35:19 pm »
I dislike cheap-ass mass produced green lagers like Old English or St Ives.  F'ing headache bombs.  >:(

And beer with spices in it. Most of them.

Edit: as low as I'll go? Icehouse. Lonestar.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:14:48 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »
I can drink "bud select" without getting a headache.
Otherwise I rather have a pop vs bud light, bud, mgd, lite....
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »
If I am at someone's house and they offer me a beer I will be appreciative of whatever they give me and I won't complain. But I really dislike "Light" beers.

I do a lot of back packing and once after three days and four nights in the woods we stopped at a gas station (on the way home) and the "best" beer they had was MGD and it couldn't have tasted better had Jesus himself handed it to me - pure gold. So I will say it does depend on the circumstances. I also admit to being a sucker for Corona and Lime while sitting on the Gulf. Normally, however, I'll just as soon take one of my IPAs to just about anything.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »
As seen written on a quote board at McGuire's Irish Pub,

"Life is too short to drink bad beer!" 
Carrie Nation

Yeah, Carry Nation never said that. She did say "Men are nicotine-soaked, beer-besmirched, whiskey-greased, red-eyed devils." And I concur.  ;)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:23:50 pm »
Bud Light and  a REAL lime is my go to, non-craft beer. Regular Bud isn't too bad either. While I like my beer the best, I haven't developed that beer snob attitude yet.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:14 pm »
I usually drink homebrew, craft beers or imports.  However, I have been known to buy a 12 pack of Michelob on occasion.  If I go to someone's house or a party and a beer is offered to me I will graciously drink it.  As my dad has always said "free beer is good beer!"   :)

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:08 pm »
Over the last 30+ years I’ve drank some cheep swill, so long as it had alcohol. Now days I reserve my calories for the best I can get.

jaybeerman

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:49 pm »
I guess PBR is my low, though I agree it's a pretty decent macro.  I use to kindly accept any beer that was offered up with fairly minimal comments about my preferences; not anymore.  Oddly enough I physically can't tolerate light beer even if I wanted to be polite.  If I drink a Coors light (yes I live in Coors country) within 30 minutes I can guarantee that I'll be lying on the couch with major/violent stomach pain.  Go figure.  Although I don't, I imagine that I could drink a dozen PBR's with no discomfort.  Otherwise the crappiest beer I've personally bought and consumed at home in the last ten years was a 6er of Avery (BIPA) Porter.  Tea is my number one beverage and I far prefer plain ole crappy (Alvita) Chinese Green Tea to a crappy beer.  Cheers, j