Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How low can you go?  (Read 8505 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How low can you go?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:20 am »
Marooned on an island with only a few cases of <insert crap beer name here> YUP, I'll drink it.

Kinda like the story that says:"Ma'm, will you sleep with me for 1 million dollars? Sure! How about 10? What do you think I am, some kind of hooker? Well, yeah, we've already established that, we're just haggling at this point.

Morale of the story? Learn to brew, and do it often. Maybe you won't have to drink the dregs.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:13 am »
Marooned on an island with only a few cases of <insert crap beer name here> YUP, I'll drink it.

Me too, but I'd be quickly working on brewing palm wine!

For me, I have a sentimental spot for Milwaukees Best Light.  Its my father in laws beer, so there are a lot of occasions I'll accept one.  And to be forthright, there's not terribly much to criticize about it.  There's not terribly much about it at all!  Best way I can describe it is that it is basically sparkling water flavored with the juice of canned corn.  Its refreshing in its way...the same way sparkling water is.  I can drink most macro lagers (to be honest I've never tried any malt liquor or anything lower than MBLight) but its typically in a social setting and they never leaving me wanting a second beer.  Still, de gustibus non est disputandum!  My tastes are remarkably proleterian when it comes to wine (stopping short of those ghastly sweetened or flavored wines), I actually quite like a number of the boxed wines just fine!

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 07:31:44 am »
I am lucky. For only a dollar more than bud i can buy a case of yuengling.  so that is my go to when cash is a little tight and homebrew is running low.  :D
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:17 am »
I like some of the Yeungling beers but their lager tastes awful to me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:48:03 am »
I'd say Fat Tire is about as low as I'll go.  I don't judge others by what they drink...if you like, drink it...it's OK with me.  But I'll drink water before I'll drink a NAIL.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »
I'd say Fat Tire is about as low as I'll go.  I don't judge others by what they drink...if you like, drink it...it's OK with me.  But I'll drink water before I'll drink a NAIL.

C'mon Denny......stranded on an island..... nothing else but a case of Boones Farm?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

jaybeerman

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

C'mon Denny......stranded on an island..... nothing else but a case of Boones Farm?

Fat Tire is pretty low.  Thank god they have a brew (fat tire) that enables them to brew the good stuff though.  I have to add that at the moment I'm very unhappy with new belgium...had the sahti on-tap the other day and I swear it was old fat tire.  I couldn't pick out a single sahti-like character, terrible. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »
  Not a beer snob, but I can't make myself pay 5.00$ for a pint of BMC, If I'm out, and that's all they have, I'll have a Pepsi. If I'm at a buddies, and he offers it to me, I'll drink it. And summertime, you'll always find a case of Milwaukee's Best Light in my fridge. There is really no better beer on a hot after mowing the lawn. It's just good stuff.

edit : It's also a very good shower beer. And with the cans, there's no worries of a broken bottle in the bottom of the tub.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:07 am »
Canoe beers?  Really?!  Wow.  If that's all there is to drink I volunteer to be the designated driver.  I only have so many brain cells.  I refuse to kill any with canoe beer.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 02:32:40 am »
edit : It's also a very good shower beer. And with the cans, there's no worries of a broken bottle in the bottom of the tub.

Ah yes, the Power Shower. That brought back some memories.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:27 am »
I'll drink any beer around....except for sour beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:38 am »

Water, thank you....at least until the situation actually arises and I have to face reality.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:40 am »
Canoe beers?  Really?!  Wow.  If that's all there is to drink I volunteer to be the designated driver.  I only have so many brain cells.  I refuse to kill any with canoe beer.

You only have one liver...destroy it wisely!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »

Ahhhh...Strawberry Hill. Puked up many a bottle of that. Those sweet high school memories <sigh>.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »
If anybody is keeping track, put me down in the "no thanks to macros" column.  I started drinking back when there weren't any craft breweries in the US, so I had my fill of what they have to offer.  Fortunately in the Pacific NW, it seems that every bar has at least one local craft beer on tap (Mac & Jacks is our Bud).  I have a feeling if I lived in a less hospitable region, my opinion would likely change.