Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How low can you go?  (Read 8579 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: How low can you go?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 08:02:00 pm »
If anybody is keeping track, put me down in the "no thanks to macros" column.  I started drinking back when there weren't any craft breweries in the US, so I had my fill of what they have to offer.  Fortunately in the Pacific NW, it seems that every bar has at least one local craft beer on tap (Mac & Jacks is our Bud).  I have a feeling if I lived in a less hospitable region, my opinion would likely change.

I live in a less hospitable region than the Pacific NW (who doesn't?) and I can usually say "no thanks" when I can't get a craft beer.  If there's nothing on the menu but bland american lagers, I'll go with something else, perhaps Scotch?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »
I'll drink a PBR, which I consider "light beer".  I think I've had well water that is stronger than most light beers. :-\
Dan Chisholm

Offline stevo155

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 06:11:45 am »
As a young'un, it was Michelob Light and Boonesfarm.  In college, Bud, Stroh's 30 packs and this wonderful thing we found called Heiny Wine ( I think that's how you spell it ).  Kinda like a wine cooler.  We poor college students couldn't resist the $9.99 for a 24 bottle case.  Only problem was you woke up in the morning feeling like someone cut your heart out.

Now, the "worse" I will drink is Corona mainly because a friend of mine loves it and we go over to his house in the summer and he offers me one or two.  Other than that, I choose water over  the other macros.

The AHA has made me a beer snob!!  Thank you AHA!!!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 08:26:37 am »
There is the old classic from the Pythons:

"American beer is like making love in a canoe...."

Perhaps I'd best not supply the punchline!   ;D

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:18 am »
So to what low will you sink in regards to beer drinking? Are there some beers you just won't drink?

I like National Bohemian.  It'd be awesome to steam crabs in.

I cannot for the life of me drink it. Just a sip tells me, oh yeah, time to make crabs.  Another sip... I can't do it.  It's just too horrible.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »
Under the right circumstances I could drink PBR, Coors Banquet, Busch, Busch Light, Iron City, even IC Light.

But I can't drink Bud or Bud Light, I'd rather drink water.  I had AB Bud in Ireland once though, and it was actually pretty good - I think it was a nitro pour, but it lacked the acetaldehyde that is such a big turnoff for me with the Bud in the US.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »
PBR is okay on the lawnmower in the hot sun.  8)

My brother-in-law drinks Corona with a lime, so when we go surf-fishing...I'll have a few.

I had a Bud about 3 years ago and could barely finish it....yuchhhhh ;)
Ron Price

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »
I will drink any BMC, being in Colorado Coors is ok, but the locals seem to have a love hate
relationship with it. I would say Bud or Coors are my lowest rung. My neighbor, the other home
brewer (you know who you are), drinks Miller High Life. I can't. For the life of me I have tried and
I couldn't do it. On the beach in Mexico, Tecate with a lime and a dash of salt, yum.

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:32 pm »
I'll drink just about any beer, but nothing labeled "Ice." Instead of making beer flavorless, it's like they intentionally make it taste bad. Not to mention the headaches. It makes good beer can chicken though. That's what happens to it when you leave a case at my house. :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »
One thing I have to give to the macro brewers, their beer my be awful, but don't you all agree it takes real talent to make bad beer, cosistently? I mean, batch after batch, a bud taste like a bud, and coors, coors.....every beer, for years on end taste the same, millions of gallons, on gallons. I really do think it take skill and talent to make a product taste in such quantities, taste the same, every time. For that, we gotta respect them.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:57 pm »

One thing I have to give to the macro brewers, their beer my be awful, but don't you all agree it takes real talent to make bad beer, cosistently? I mean, batch after batch, a bud taste like a bud, and coors, coors.....every beer, for years on end taste the same, millions of gallons, on gallons. I really do think it take skill and talent to make a product taste in such quantities, taste the same, every time. For that, we gotta respect them.

The secret is that they blend at least in Bud's case.  So potential good beer is turned into bad beer on purpose. 

I must admit that I like regular old Coors.  In the can. Don't buy it much but since I'm currently only a few hundred miles from the source maybe a research expedition is in order.  :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 04:58:08 pm »
but don't you all agree it takes real talent to make bad beer, cosistently?

There was a quote or joke and I can't find it. But it went along the lines of

"They have the skill to brew bad beer consistently and the marketing budget
to convince you to drink it. "
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »
Then we all agree....

PBR doesn't belong in this post.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 07:14:27 pm »
but don't you all agree it takes real talent to make bad beer, cosistently?

There was a quote or joke and I can't find it. But it went along the lines of

"They have the skill to brew bad beer consistently and the marketing budget
to convince you to drink it. "

Never underestimate the power of brand allegiance.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:29 am »
I may be only 24 years old but i have standards to. Seen and doored to many house parties to drink anything lower than PBR and i have a little place in my keezer for Mickeys as a family joke. Plus i had my first beer in Germany on an exchange program and was there to witness the renew of the Reinheitsgebot which happens every two years ago.Now that was fun.