Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mill motor  (Read 28318 times)

narvin

Re: Mill motor
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 09:26:24 pm »
I get about 5 pounds / minute with the MM2 and the 177.7 motor.  I wouldn't want to do 280 pounds like that, though.  But for homebrew sized batches, it works fine.

Even though it's reversible, make sure you run it in the CCW direction (looking at it, not if you were the motor).  I've seen posts on other boards where it binds up easier running the other way.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
Yes the 177 rpm gear motor will do just fine with 2 mill roller but it is too small for 3 mill roller.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline joshua7dennis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 06:46:07 am »
Yes true it will be very small for 3 mill roller.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 12:54:36 pm »
Yes the 177 rpm gear motor will do just fine with 2 mill roller but it is too small for 3 mill roller.

CONFIRMED!! The 177 RPM motor from Surplus Center is a bit under sized for the MM3. You can run malt through it until you adjust the gap to be tighter. Once the gap is adjusted, the motor bogs down and binds... looks like I'm due for some more research and a new motor --

Thirsty_Monk - would you mind sharing your setup? Did you get the MM3 with the 1/2" drive?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »
Yes I got MM3 with 2" rollers and 1/2" shaft.
I mill about 300lb a batch.
1/2 hp motor from surplus center will do.
I use belt drive.
I have 12" shive on the mill side and 1.75" on the motor side.
You could go with 10" shive on mill side.
If you need more info I can take a pics and point you to the parts source.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline ronrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 02:45:18 pm »

Bummer! I was hoping you would have good luck with that setup.

I really don't want to run a belt if I can avoid it. I've been running mine with my Milwaukee Right Angle drive drill. Works great, power to spare. Just not the best looking set up. And I have not checked on the speed yet. I see them often in Pawn Shops, so I'll likely look for one to mount on my mill and cover it up with wood or maybe stainless. Not my first choice, but it will work.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:47:58 pm by ronrock »

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:48 am »
Welp, the setup finally took a turn for the worse this weekend  >:(

As a guide to others, I'm replacing the 3/8" drive roller on my MM3 because my pulley supplier can't find a large enough drive pulley (>10" to provide the 10:1 ratio for a 1700 RPM motor) with a 3/8" bore, and my only option is to adapt the 3/8" drive shaft on the mill to a 1/2" shaft...

A word to the wise: if you get the MM3 and plan to motorize the mill, get the 1/2" drive roller... it'll be less painful in the long run!

Cheers!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »
Welp, the setup finally took a turn for the worse this weekend  >:(

As a guide to others, I'm replacing the 3/8" drive roller on my MM3 because my pulley supplier can't find a large enough drive pulley (>10" to provide the 10:1 ratio for a 1700 RPM motor) with a 3/8" bore, and my only option is to adapt the 3/8" drive shaft on the mill to a 1/2" shaft...

A word to the wise: if you get the MM3 and plan to motorize the mill, get the 1/2" drive roller... it'll be less painful in the long run!

Cheers!

Slow down! There's a doohickey for that....

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Steel-Reducer-Bushing-4X664?Pid=search

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:11:40 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
Welp, the setup finally took a turn for the worse this weekend  >:(

Cheers!

Slow down! There's a doohickey for that....

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Steel-Reducer-Bushing-4X664?Pid=search

Thanks for the suggestion! But... the set screw on the spider coupling had it's way with the flats on the drive shaft -- a couple of times (definitely get some key stock) -- so it would take a little machining as well.

Also, Monster recently got the hopper extension so I might as well upgrade all parts at the same time, eh?! The larger shaft drive roller was only $37 + shipping, so it's not too bad -- but, there are the shaft adaptors / bushing options out there.

Offline ronrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:35 am »
Hey guys I just bought this motor for my MM-3. I hope it has the power to turn it. From what I have read the motor several have used from Surplus Center is a bit weak for the MM-3. But this one has 90 lb-in torque. It only spins at 85 RPM, but I'm thinking that should not affect the grind, just the time it takes to run the grain through.

This motor was pointed out by someone on HBT. I just checked and the guy has 3 left. I offered 75.00 for mine. It was accepted and shipped fast. Now I need to get the rest of the stuff and assemble my Mill Station. I'll report back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BODINE-1-6-HP-GEARMOTOR-42R5BFCI-E3-NEW-BOX-/220849920348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bae595c

Anybody have any input on the effect of the reduced speed? Am I correct in my thinking that it should only affect the time it takes?

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:40 am »
Anybody have any input on the effect of the reduced speed? Am I correct in my thinking that it should only affect the time it takes?

Until I stand corrected, slower speeds (i.e. 85 RPM) generally shouldn't impact your grist. From the material I've read, your grist and efficiency are most impacted when roller speeds exceed 300 RPM, but I'm sure that's mill specific (3 roller mills may be affected less than 2 roller mills, etc.). I can't really speak to whether 1/6 HP will be enough. I upgraded from the 1/12 of the Surplus Center to a Leeson 1/2HP.

Here's some additional info about RPMs for the MM's. Per the Monster FAQs:

"What RPMs should I run my mill at?

The best speed to run all of the drill driven mills at is around 150-250 rpms. Does it have to be exactly 200 rpms? NO WAY. A range of 100-300 is fine, and if you are willing to have a little more flour, then you can run it a little faster. I generally tell folks to run it as slowly as your drill will run it without stalling plus a little more. It usually takes a little more torque to get the mill going than to keep it going, so you will have to give it some more power to start the mill, and then slow it down once you are milling. You should experiment with faster/slower speeds and see what it does to your grain."

It might be worth asking Monster about though -- in my experience, he's been easy to get a hold of and very helpful.

Offline ronrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 11:42:42 am »
Thanks Wiley. I thought you might be interested in this motor unless you are already on your way with the pulleys. Certainly hope it works well.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
Yes the 1/2 hp motor and pulleys work just fine for MM3.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
Update:

First brew on the improved mill yesterday -- for future reference, definitely go big with the motor and run with pulleys. Sure, you can get by with a smaller motor and other ways of adapting power transmission. But, this thing chewed through 60+ pounds in under 10 minutes with no concern for the mill binding, breaking parts or burning up the motor. Thanks for the 1/2 HP advice, Thirsty_Monk.

Cheers!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »
Looking good.
I will post pic of my mill later.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing