Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jambalaya?  (Read 5317 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Jambalaya?
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
   Think i'm gonna ma ke a big 'ole pot the end of the week. Any recipes or suggestions? Anyone?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:23:27 pm by bluesman »
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Jumbalya?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
Shrimp Jambalaya

1   Cup vegetable oil
1   Cup flour
-   -
4   Tbsp chopped garlic
4   Cups chopped onions
2   Cups chopped celery
2   Cups chopped bell pepper
5   Cups chicken stock
3   Heaping Tbsp Joe's Hot Stuff
4   Cups long grain rice
-   -
3   Pounds peeled deveined shrimp
1   Pound crabmeat
2   Cups chopped green onions or tomatoes (optional)

"First you make a roux" - the classic opening line of many a Cajun or Creole recipe...

Mix vegetable oil and flour in a very clean, heavy skillet. Turn on heat to low. Stir mixture constantly until a rich brown color appears (30 minutes or more). Remove from heat, continuing to stir, and allow to cool five minutes or so. Roux may be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen, tightly covered.

Pour warm roux into large dutch oven or stockpot and place on heat.

Add garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to the roux. Very lightly cook vegetables in roux until they reach the desired tenderness.

Add chicken stock and Joe's Hot Stuff seasoning to stockpot. Instead of all chicken stock, a mixture of half chicken and half seafood stock may be used. Bring to a boil, stirring well.

Add rice and return to a boil, again stirring well. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Set timer for 10 minutes.

Saute shrimp and crabmeat in oil in the skillet until firm and slightly pink. Remove from heat and wait for timer to go off.

Uncover stockpot and add shrimp and crabmeat. The optional green onions and/or tomatoes may be added at this time. Quickly turn entire mixture in stockpot from top to bottom. Re-cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes until done.

Makes 12 servings.

This recipe started out as part of the class handout for the New Orleans School of Cooking. It was modified to more closely follow the recipe as taught in the class and was changed from chicken and sausage to shrimp and crabmeat. If you're ever in New Orleans, do yourself a favor and sign up for their cooking class, it's well worth it!
Joe

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:27:48 pm »
Looks great! Think I'll add some sausage. Never heard of Joe's Hot Stuff. Is it readily available, everywhere?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »
Looks great! Think I'll add some sausage. Never heard of Joe's Hot Stuff. Is it readily available, everywhere?

Yeah, you can pretty much add anything you'd like, so sausage? go for it.

As for the Joe's, that's pretty much only available in the Big Easy but you can use any Cajun seasoning that you can find.
Joe

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
Big Easy, eh? Well, this is Idaho. more like the Big Butthole. As for sausage, I guess I shold say kielbasi.

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:57 pm »
Funny, I just made my third batch, of Paella, in the last three weeks.  I love hearty rice dishes; simple or sophisticated.  Looks like next week, I'll go with some Jambalaya.  To me, jambalaya is about having fun and using the stuff you have in the fridge.  I've made it with combos of chicken, ham, andouille sausage, shrimp, crab and, I'm sure, a few more that I'm probably forgetting.  cheers, j   

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:54 am »
To me, jambalaya is about having fun and using the stuff you have in the fridge.  I've made it with combos of chicken, ham, andouille sausage, shrimp, crab and, I'm sure, a few more that I'm probably forgetting.  cheers, j   

That's what we do - ends up so full of meat, it's no longer a poor man's dish.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:24:32 am »
To me, jambalaya is about having fun and using the stuff you have in the fridge.  I've made it with combos of chicken, ham, andouille sausage, shrimp, crab and, I'm sure, a few more that I'm probably forgetting.  cheers, j   

It's funny, but that's the same impression I had about paella when I was in Spain a couple decades ago - a whole lot of stuff that was layin' around served on yellow rice.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »

It's funny, but that's the same impression I had about paella when I was in Spain a couple decades ago - a whole lot of stuff that was layin' around served on yellow rice.

It's funny how poor people food can suddenly become classic, even very sophisticated, as if it had always been that way.  Learning how to make something delicious from the crap you have in the fridge is definitely an admirable skill.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

It's funny how poor people food can suddenly become classic, even very sophisticated, as if it had always been that way.  Learning how to make something delicious from the crap you have in the fridge is definitely an admirable skill.

I feel the best dishes were invented out of and during improvised times. People get real creative when they have less, and some how dull and lazy when they have plenty.

One of the best compliments I ever got for cooking was when someone said. "Man, you could think there is nothing to eat in the kitchen and then Capazzoli goes in there and cooks a four coarse French meal."  Made me feel proud.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:27:04 pm »
Sometimes it's the challenge of the design that's more fun that the actual cooking. We eat a lot of meals that way.  Drives me nuts watching someone use a cook book recipe to the letter. Maybe the first time but after that it's MY recipe. I guess my beer is the same way...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »
It's about technique. Learn technique and recipes fall to the wayside.

I just did a chili last night that was freeform.  Ended up using spaghetti sauce that was taking space up in the freezer instead of the regular tomato sauce and paste. Cleaned out some jars of this and that in the fridge door. The result was different but actually very tasty and still a chili.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
Jeff,
Paella - "a whole lot of stuff that was layin' around served on yellow rice” You’re correct and I had a good laugh over how that sounds.  I guess that and "the crap we had in the fridge" don't roll off the tongue (or sell themselves) so that's why we've invented the nice names and the supposed "authentic" list of ingredients for the original dish.

Cap,
Amen.

Euge,
Nice! I hope this catches on in the homebrewer world as well, "Learn technique [i.e. the principles] and recipes fall to the wayside."

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
Its funny, we talk about this all of the time. We dont really go out to eat much cause it is kinda like scratching an itch that isnt there. If I do go out to eat its will be ethnic and usually one that is third world.

American food just absolutely sucks with a few exceptions. And they pile it on your plate to the point where it is gross. Who eats all that food?  My guess is most dont, and it ends up in the dumpster.

I really love diners. Especially SS diner cars. There are lots around here and way back when you could go there and get a simple seemingly home cooked meal. Now a days you just get piles of suck there, even the coffee isnt good any more. There are still a few diners I go to for breakfast or lunch cause I know I can run into friends there and the waitresses remember me even if I havent been there in a year. So I go there more for the crowd not the food.

In NJ there are lots of circles, every circle has a diner. Though, slowly the circles; you know circles the kind you have to drive up too, close your eyes and punch the gas in order to get through,  are slowly fading away.

Which reminds me, the last time I was in a NJ diner for dinner I had the Jambalaya. ...and I really dont want to talk about it any more than that.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:41:35 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »
Drives me nuts watching someone use a cook book recipe to the letter. Maybe the first time but after that it's MY recipe. I guess my beer is the same way...  Cheers!!!

I make a lot of snowflakes. Beers, stews, soups....
The moral majority, is neither.