Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation Questoin  (Read 1428 times)

Offline behndthmask

• 1st Kit
Carbonation Questoin
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:20:51 pm »
This will me my first attempt at kegging my beer (Partial Mash IPA) and have two questions. I have read all the helpful information about how to force carbonate the beer but haven't seen anyone talk about the effect this will have if you were intending to prime the keg with "sugar" and if it wasn't ready in time went ahead and forced it. Does this give the beer a sweet taste because the yeast hasn't consumed  the extra sugar? Also since I am going to try and prime it should I leave the keg at 60 degrees for the week and chill the last 24 hours or should I chill it down to the 40 or so degrees that I have read about on here. Any advice would be great.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Carbonation Questoin
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:32:21 pm »
Room temp as in 60-75 degrees if you are going to use sugar.

If you are not prepared to wait a week or more then you should skip sugar priming and just force carb your beer by rocking (shaking) the keg while it is hooked up to the CO2. If you do this approach it works best at serving temp as the CO2 will absorb more readily into solution. Takes 10 minutes at most.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:15:26 am »
I agree with euge, emphasis on a week or more.  If you are serving this for an event, I would make sure it was kegged two to three weeks ahead of time if priming and carbonating, just to be sure.  If you don't have that much time, force carbonate it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline behndthmask

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:53 am »
Thanks for the helpful comments. I was planning to serve this for a super bowl party so I will just force carbonate it. I going to keg it tonight so wish me luck.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:04 am »
Luck ;)
Tom Schmidlin