Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sticke?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Sticke?
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:08 pm »
So, I have been thinking about making a "Sticke" and, while I get the general idea of it being a bigger Altbier, I am not sure how big to make it or how bitter. Anyone have any pointers? I was thinking somewhere around 1.065 and 65 IBUs. And I was going to use a larger 5 min hop addition than usual just to fancy it up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sticke?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:16:49 pm »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »
and are you only going to serve it two days a year like the real thing?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »
and are you only going to serve it two days a year like the real thing?

If it's good enough, it might not last longer than 2 days! SWMBO loves her hoppy amber ales, so there's no telling.

@Denny - I read that description before and it seems to me that there isn't much of a set definition of this style (not entirely unlike Düsseldorf Altbier) - but it looks like Uerige is doing a somewhat smaller beer for their Sticke than I had planned, but their DoppelSticke is bigger than I had planned.

The real question for me at this point is: If I am going to brew a Sticke at around 1.065 (expecting roughly 80% apparent attenuation, that makes a 7% ABV beer), what kind of IBU's should I shoot for, and what hop schedule? This is what I have so far:

6 Gal (80-84% assumed efficiency)

Zum Schüyler Sticke

12 lbs Gambrinus Pils
8 oz CaraMunich II
4 oz Melanoidin

1 oz Magnum (17% AA) 60 min
1 oz Glacier (5.6% AA) 20 min (might switch this out for Mt. Hood)
2 oz Crystal (5.6% AA) 5 min
Maybe .5 oz Crystal Dry-hop

WLP001 (because I get fresh slurry for free from a local brewpub)

Mash at 150 for 60 min w/mashout

What I am thinking is that maybe I should move the 20 min addition up to 30 min and reduce the amount to 15-20 grams (1/2-3/4 oz). Should I be shooting for 65-70 IBU or should I be shooting for 60-65? And is it crazy to drop 2 oz of Crystal at 5 min? Not that I would mind if this tastes like Rogue's Brutal Bitter, but is that where this recipe is headed?

Also, before anyone tells me I should be using more continental ingredients, I am intentionally trying to get the flavor I am looking for in this beer with as few foreign ingredients as possible (in this case only the specialty malts). I realize that it isn't really authentic if I'm not using German Pils and Spalt, for example, but I am less concerned with authenticity than most people, probably, and one of the key reasons for deciding to brew this beer was to use up the Gambrinus Pils sack I bought to brew a 10 gallon clone of Double Mountain IRA (one of my favorite OR beers that I can't get here in CA).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »
I'd go for at least .8:1 BU:GU or maybe higher.  I've read that stickes have late or dry hop additions often, so you might want to give that a go.  But I agree, you've got a lot of latitude.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
While the number are a bit different,  think of this as a German APA.  I would go for 55-60 IBUs

but I acknowledge your disclaimer
Also, before anyone tells me I should be using more continental ingredients, I am intentionally trying to get the flavor I am looking for in this beer with as few foreign ingredients as possible (in this case only the specialty malts). I realize that it isn't really authentic if I'm not using German Pils and Spalt, for example, but I am less concerned with authenticity than most people, probably, and one of the key reasons for deciding to brew this beer was to use up the Gambrinus Pils sack I bought to brew a 10 gallon clone of Double Mountain IRA (one of my favorite OR beers that I can't get here in CA).
and you do have latitude with this style.  I've had both the normal and sticke recently and they are very similar, a very hop forward German ale.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
I'd go for at least .8:1 BU:GU or maybe higher.  I've read that stickes have late or dry hop additions often, so you might want to give that a go.  But I agree, you've got a lot of latitude.

9 times out of 10, when I love a beer, that beer is dry-hopped. I think I will reduce the 20 min. addition to a half ounce of Glacier and dry hop this one with a half ounce or so of crystal malt - or maybe glacier.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:30:13 pm by skyler »