(1/3) > >>

Under process this page states
brewing (from 45°c up to 72°c)

from 113F (45C) to 163F (63c)

Is that correct?

--- Quote ---Lambic and the spontaneous fermentation
Cantillon Brewery

I am Mimi, the little mouse.
The brewery doesn't have any secrets for me, so follow me and I'll tell you about the beers which are made here.

I am fond of wheat and barley grains, so I am probably the best guide to introduce you to these great beers : Gueuze, Kriek, Faro, etc.

Traditional Lambic is made according to the following rules:

1. Ingredients:
          * raw wheat 35%
          * malted barley 65%
          * dried hops (three years old) : 5 g per liter of beer
   2. Process:
          * brewing (from 45°c up to 72°c)
          * collecting the wort by filtering
          * boiling and hopping in the boilers
          * cooling down in the cooling tun, in contact with the open air
          * natural infection of the wort by wild ferments (bacteria and yeasts)
          * pumping the wort at a temperature of 18°c into oakwood or chestnutwood barrels
          * spontaneous fermentation, visible in the beginning, slow afterwards
          * transformation of all the sugars within three years
   3. Looks of Lambic:
          * Still beer, cereals wine. During the fermentation, the carbon dioxide escapes through the wood and as a result does not saturate the beer.

--- End quote ---

The lambic producers do a turbid mash, to make a wort that is high in starches.  That is so the bugs and critters have things they can consume after the yeast is done.  They actually pull the thin part, boil, and return.  This denatures the enzymes to ensure low conversion.  I would have to pull some books out to check the temps, but it doesn't seem far off.

Forget most of what you know about brewing when you delve into lambics.  I mean this in the most possible good way.  ;D

If you ever get a chance, tour the Cantillon brewery.

i so want to start brewing lambics, but i'm afraid i'm years away from having enough knowledge to pull of one that is truly divine.

Here's a great pLambic link:

Covers traditional and non-traditional methods.  A very interesting read.

--- Quote from: deepsouth on December 01, 2009, 08:46:44 PM ---i so want to start brewing lambics, but i'm afraid i'm years away from having enough knowledge to pull of one that is truly divine.

--- End quote ---

All you need is love and time...the bugs and yeasts do the rest. I have ~ 15 gallons of Lambic sitting in my brewery. A 5 allon batch of extract following the recipe from BCS that is 9 months old or so (still has the pellicle) and two fermenters with a split 12 gallon all-grain brew. All three were pitched with one smack pack of Lambic Blend from Wyeast, and one of the all grain carboys also got a smack pack of Roselare Blend tossed in for s***s and giggles. ;D

The first batch smells so awesome when the fridge is opened up it will almost drive you mad.  :'(

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version