Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Portland, OR  (Read 3263 times)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Portland, OR
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »
We're going to be in Portland, Oregon February 10-13. Any suggestions?
Brew on

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:41 pm »

Bring an umbrella.

I liked the grub at Deschutes.  If you're on a pilgrimage Widmer would seem a logical choice.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »

Yeah....come down to Eugene for a visit!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »
The umbrella will make you look like a tourist. Get some Tevas and a fleece jacket.

Where are you from? If you are from an area that gets Deschutes anyway, focus on getting HoTD and Cascade stuff while you are in town as the distribution on those is poor. While I avoided it nearly completely when I lived in PDX (pre smoking ban), The Horse Brass is now one of my favorite beer bars. Belmont Station (no longer conveniently next to The Horse Brass or on Belmont) is a great bottle shop and serves a few interesting draught beers in their cafe.

Widmer usually has interesting stuff at the pub and better German food than the German restaurants in town.

If you like Thai food go to Pok Pok. Thank me later.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:49:04 pm by johnf »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »
+ a billion for Hair of the Dog.  Avoid McMenamin's unless you just want to see cool funky buildings.  The beer is second rate.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
Very tempting Denny!

I kinda sorta remember some breweries having a couple of rooms that they rent? Or was that just a dream?
Brew on

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »
When I was there I liked HUB :P (I think it stands for Hopworks Urban Brewery).  I really liked the IPA, but then again I don't think I had a bad one with 10+ breweries I visited.
Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:37 pm »
Very tempting Denny!

I kinda sorta remember some breweries having a couple of rooms that they rent? Or was that just a dream?

A couple of the Mc's rent rooms.  They take old buildings and refurbish them into funky hotel kinda things with breweries, distilleries, movie theaters, bowling alleys...http://mcmenamins.com/Hotels .  Like I said, not the best beer you'll ever drink, but a fun atmosphere.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:35 pm »
Very tempting Denny!

A couple of the Mc's rent rooms.  They take old buildings and refurbish them into funky hotel kinda things with breweries, distilleries, movie theaters, bowling alleys...http://mcmenamins.com/Hotels .  Like I said, not the best beer you'll ever drink, but a fun atmosphere.

My wife and I have stayed at McMenamins several times in Oregon and can testify that they are really fun places with cool art, friendly people and moderately good beer.  Food's good too, but the whole artsy environment is a lot of fun.  We've stayed at the Kennedy School and highly recommend it from the soaking pool to the Boiler Room Bar.
If you make it to Bridgeport Brewing in the Pearl District make sure you check out the restored urinals.  It's a photo op unless there are other people in the picture.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:44 pm »

My wife and I have stayed at McMenamins several times in Oregon and can testify that they are really fun places with cool art, friendly people and moderately good beer.  Food's good too, but the whole artsy environment is a lot of fun.  We've stayed at the Kennedy School and highly recommend it from the soaking pool to the Boiler Room Bar.
If you make it to Bridgeport Brewing in the Pearl District make sure you check out the restored urinals.  It's a photo op unless there are other people in the picture.

When I first moved to Portland, I was really excited about all the vintage urinals. Now that I've moved away, I had forgotten all about that little piece of Portland quirk. Thanks for the reminder.