Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buners  (Read 2561 times)

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
Buners
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:55:15 am »
So I am looking to build my all grain system I have been wanting to build finally, I have the design down minus a few engineering changes that will be made once I get some imput.

I have a natural gas line in my basement that is caped and has a shut off valve for an old stove my family had in the basement when we did canning. Which also works great since we still have the vent system in just need to clean is out and unplug the exhuast. I want to use that line to fuel the burners.

but now to the point what type of burners work best for this setup. Using natural gas and mountable. Making the mounts is no problem being a machinist and decent at welding too. but i need to know some good one that people have used or would use.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Buners
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:10 am »
Some good info here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88036

My suggestion is going with a NG burner with smaller, more focused flames. You'll waste less gas and heat.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:24:12 am »
Also the design is to stay with 5 gallon batches still and mabye ten eventually.

And lest waste is nice.

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:58 am »
Some good info here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88036

My suggestion is going with a NG burner with smaller, more focused flames. You'll waste less gas and heat.

Been reading this and thinking that a 10 nozzle burner would work fine but is it possible to dial it down

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:08 am »
I use a ball valve to control the burner. Also some folks plug a few jets.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:10:49 am »
Just want to say that you want to have a fresh air inlet in your basement.

John Blichmann had some good stuff in his presentation, pages 17-21 if I counted right.  There are some other things that are really good to think about in the presentation.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4955/Tips___Tricks_to_Setting_Up_Your_Own_Homebrewery-Blichmann.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:05 am »
Thanks for the Blichman link. I am doing the first set right now which is lay out and planning. I have had an log running for a while and several over things have come to my mind and are now being included in design.

This is going to to be a fun build. Time line about 6 months so planning is the majority.

Thanks again. I will be back asking more questions. and any advice or suggestion please post them.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:43 am »
Just want to say that you want to have a fresh air inlet in your basement.

John Blichmann had some good stuff in his presentation, pages 17-21 if I counted right.  There are some other things that are really good to think about in the presentation.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4955/Tips___Tricks_to_Setting_Up_Your_Own_Homebrewery-Blichmann.pdf
I almost wish I hadn't seen that link. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and my utility room could easily fit all my brewing gear. I wonder if my wife would even notice a couple burners, exhaust fans, some extra plumbing... Hmmm... She'll probably never even set foot in that room.
Mark Gres

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:25 am »
I'm no expert on this, but I did just switch over to natural gas from propane.  I had a plumber run a line to the corner of the house outside the garage.  The line was run from the meter.  We also discussed t-ing it off the water heater, but the line from the meter was easier and the plumber was concerned that more volume was needed.  The point of all of this is that you need to test that burner somehow before you go to the trouble of welding everything up.  My brewstand has a larger gas line coming to it than anything else in my house.  I'm not sure what the line to that stove looks like or if it shares the line to another appliance in your house.  But, especially if you're planning on using more than one burner at the same time, make sure that line in your basement can handle what you want to do.

Doing my first NG brew in the morning.  Very excited!
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!