Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: On the road again  (Read 4630 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
On the road again
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »
I'm holed up in the La Quinta by my parents' place. Last time I was here I finally discovered the fridge in the room as I left. Grrr.  Had been icing down the beer in one of those ice buckets. A PITA. 

And, its been years since I lived here and the choices at the supermarket isn't up to my standards. So brought my own selection those time!

For those that travel do you bring your own or trust that your luck will provide some decent beer?

Lonely in a hotel far from home.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: On the road again
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:18 pm »
Generally I trust to luck to finding something local and crafty when I'm travelling.  The number of times I've had to clean my teeth with the bath faucet because the sink is full of ice and beer is quite disturbing.  Almost as disturbing as the image of a sink of beer is to housekeeping I expect.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
I don't trust my luck or bring my own.  I plan ahead and I have google maps on my phone.  I search online beer rating sites ahead of time to find out what to look for and where to find it, then google maps with gps and directions to actually get there.  It even worked when I was in Germany (there was some trusting of luck there, but I had reason to believe my luck would be very good with most beers I found).
Tom Schmidlin

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:22:45 am »
I don't trust my luck or bring my own.  I plan ahead and I have google maps on my phone.  I search online beer rating sites ahead of time to find out what to look for and where to find it, then google maps with gps and directions to actually get there.  It even worked when I was in Germany (there was some trusting of luck there, but I had reason to believe my luck would be very good with most beers I found).

I tend to do a lot of research ahead of time also.  The BeerMapping project has a lot of good info on it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:36 am »
I'm holed up in the La Quinta by my parents' place.

Why aren't you just staying at your parents place? (ya had to know someone was gonna ask)
I like to bring along a fifth in my luggage...for medicinal purposes.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:11:32 am »
I just run beermapping on the GPS. Occasionally it will be missing something (probably my fault for not updating the maps for my GPS or not entering the establishment), but generally it covers the topic well.
http://beermapping.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:04:54 am »
I usually bring my own, but try to make a point to find something interesting at the local shops.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:06 am »
I typically procure a bottle of nice whisk[e]y when on roadtrips.  Travels quite light, and no need to worry about keeping or getting it cold.  And typically my roadtrips tend to take me south and west, so there's almost a bit of romanticism about it as a beverage, when in Arizona and the like. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

Why aren't you just staying at your parents place? (ya had to know someone was gonna ask)
I like to bring along a fifth in my luggage...for medicinal purposes.

They moved into a retirement community last summer and no extra bedrooms. I've been getting a hotel room for years now since it just works out better and I have sleep problems anyway.  I should sleep good tonight since there wasn't much for me last night.

The beer mapping returns zero results.  >:(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

It made perfect sense to me that he wouldn't stay with them, it didn't even occur to me to ask.  That might depend on what your own parents are like.   ;D  
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »
The beer mapping returns zero results.  >:(
Post a zipcode, maybe someone around here knows the area.  Or better yet, lives in the area and can hook you up! ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »
It's 79705.

There's a supermarket with an ok selection. You can get some of the standards like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. Guess I've got spoiled.  :D

Back in the early 90's it was a pretty big deal when we could finally get Shiner here. Before that it was strictly BMC and the odd Heiniken or Fosters.

I'd like to know about a good beer store around here.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »
According to beeradvocate . . .

The Hemingway   [ Beer Bar ] B+
2200 W Wadley Ave
Midland, Texas, 79705
United States
phone: (432) 570-5333

The Wine Rack   [ Beer Store ] B+
4610 N. Garfield
Midland, Texas, 79705
United States
phone: (432) 570-9463
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »
According to beeradvocate . . .

The Hemingway   [ Beer Bar ] B+
2200 W Wadley Ave
Midland, Texas, 79705
United States
phone: (432) 570-5333

The Wine Rack   [ Beer Store ] B+
4610 N. Garfield
Midland, Texas, 79705
United States
phone: (432) 570-9463

Thanks! I might need to run some errands.  ;)

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
It's 79705.

There's a supermarket with an ok selection. You can get some of the standards like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. Guess I've got spoiled.  :D

Back in the early 90's it was a pretty big deal when we could finally get Shiner here. Before that it was strictly BMC and the odd Heiniken or Fosters.

I'd like to know about a good beer store around here.

The Wine Rack, 4610 N Garfield St # D4, has an excellent selection of Belgians and imports.  My cousin lives in Midland, and every time I go to visit, I make a point to stop. The front three quarters of the place is wine, and the beer is along the wall across from the register.

UPDATE:  Checked with my cousin.  His homebrew club, The Basin Brewers, goes to Cigar Frog's a lot.  "Cigar Frogs for bottled selection and some good ones on tap....only a couple though."  216 North Main St.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:40:06 pm by dirk_mclargehuge »