Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dental Crowns and IPAs  (Read 1683 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Dental Crowns and IPAs
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:28 am »
I went in for the first procedure in getting an old tooth/crown removed to be replaced with a new one.  There was a cavity under the old crown that had to be gotten to, so, good bye $900 crown.  It was a two hour procedure with a bit of novocaine and other bondos to fill the drilled out tooth stump.  When I got home, I went straight to the fridge and pulled out a new, untried bottle of Oakshire's IPA.  The initial taste set me back as the worst flavor I'd ever encountered in a beer of any kind.  It had a strong mint/plastic finish that was truly shocking.  I choked down about half the 22 ouncer, and dumped the rest.  I emailed Denny immediately asking if Oakshire used some odd spice or other ingredient in its IPA.  I intended to call the brewery the next morning and tell them they had an infected batch being sold at the local Fred Meyer's.  Good thing I didn't.  After emailing Denny, I went and pulled a pint of homebrew from a keg and was shocked to find the exact same infection!  Well...the light bulb went on immediately, and a lesson was learned about drinking beer immediately after having dental work done.  Don't do it.  Well, I guess I'll be buying another bottle of Oakshire's IPA which Denny insisted, is awesome!  I'm sure it is, just not after dental work.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dental Crowns and IPAs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:40 am »
Live and learn, dude!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:54:19 am »
I refrain from brushing my teeth before I have a beer for the same reasons...

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:23 am »
I brush my teeth with beer!  ;D
Beer in various stages!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:04:13 am »
I had the same experience last time I had dental work done, the beer tasted awful several hours later.  But I figured it was the dental work, not the beer :)

Denny is right, the Oakshire IPA is great. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »
Maybe they need to add instructions like "Rinse & repeat".
The more you drink it & rinse your mouth, the better it'll taste.
I've made it a policy to have 2, after each routine dentist appointment.

An appointment as serious as yours may require something a little more substantial.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:25:47 pm »
I brew a mean IPA and the secret ingredient is Orajel.  You quit drinking once you can't feel your mouth.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:52 pm »
Had a similar experience with an Imperial IPA shortly after a root canal last year. I'm resistant to novocaine, so had been given a large amount, which may have also explained the dribbling.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/