General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Never keg'd before,

(1/5) > >>

rtrvrtrnr:
I dread having to clean and sanitize bottles (I currently use flip-top pint size and magnum bottles), so Santa has committed to delivering a new system.  But I don't know which set-up to get. 

I brew 5 gal batches and will drink a pint or two every other day or so.  My question is; Do I get a 3 gal mini draft, a couple of party pigs, or a 5 gal corny?  I'm leaning toward the 5 gal corny given that I'm trying to decrease my time spent brewing, but does the beer stay fresh for the 5 to 6 weeks it takes me to consume it at a rate of a pint or 2 per day?

theDarkSide:
Go with the 5 gallon system.  You can always bottle what's left if you need to free up the keg to brew some more. 

I just bought a 2 keg setup from Kegconnection.com and it will be sitting on my doorstep this afternoon when I get home from work.  Chest freezer will be coming on Saturday, which gives me one week to get it all setup to keg my first beer, a winter warmer currently fermenting.

Thirsty_Monk:
If you get corny keg you will also need CO2 tank and regulator.
Yes beer will stay fresh for long time because you are pushing it with CO2 gas.

mrcceo:
I would go with the corny's.
As long as you follow good sanitation procedures, maintain the seals, and purge the air with co2,  your beer will easily keep for a year.

majorvices:
Don't waste you money on the other systems when eventually down the line you will want to go with the 5 gallon system. Also, get a few extra kegs. You can find them used for 20 bucks sometimes. I used to be able to get them for 10 bucks a piece. That's why I have over 20 kegs.  ;)

I have some beers in kegs that are well over a year old, barley wines and RIS and sour beers and such. Kegged beer actually stays fresher longer than bottled beer, mainly because the O2 exposure goes way down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version