Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do I need a starter?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
Do I need a starter?
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:40 am »
For my next brew, I'm planning on a 5 gallon batch of Scottish 60.  I've never made a starter before.  In fact, this will be the first time I've ever used liquid yeast.  The beer's intended OG range is 1.030-1.035.  Everything I've read about starters say that the starter wort's OG should be in the 1.030-1.040 range.  I didn't calculate exactly how many cells I'd need, but in estimating, I put it in the ballpark of 112 billion cells.  An Activator pack has 100 billion cells.  So my question to you experts: should I make a starter for this batch or not?  If so, how big and what OG should I shoot for?

Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Do I need a starter?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:48 am »
An Activator pack has 100 billion cells. 

That is making an assumption that the cells are 100% viable, which unless the yeast is less than a week old it probably is not. With liquid yeast you are probably always better off making a starter than not - however for a beer under 1.040 SG you can safely skip making the starter as long as your yeast is fresh. For anything above 1.040 - yeah, always make a starter!

For more information check out the pitching calc. at www.mrmalty.com - it will tell you how large you starter needs to be for any size batch.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:54 am »
For that low OG beer you could do just "Wake up" starter.

MrMalty Calc says that you need 1.2 vials for 1.032 OG / 5.25 gal beer.
I would say your starter should be about 1000 ml to 1100ml. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:24:12 pm »
I always make starters with my liquid yeast packs.  The bigger the beer, the bigger the starter.  In my experience it always gives me a better product, so its well worth the small effort that goes into one.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »
Rule of thumb from my perspective.  Liquid Yeast = Starter.  Dry Yeast =No Starter.  If you want to skip the starter use dry yeast. There's nothing "taboo" about using dry yeast.  I use both depending on the situation. Liquid just gives you so many more options...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:46 pm »
OK, mr malty says I need 1 liter (1.06 quarts) of starter for my 5 gallon 1.033 batch.  What gravity should my starter wort be, and how much DME do I need to get that gravity?  Based on a formula from another forum, I figure that if I'm after a gravity of 1.030, then I'd need 1/6 lb of DME per quart.  Is this about right?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:15:04 am »
I use .75 oz. DME per cup of water.  That puts it somewhere in the 1.030-35 area.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:11 am »
Thanks Denny.  That helps a lot!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:01:49 am »
I find it easier to go with 3oz DME per liter.