Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peruvian Peppers? (Aji Amarillo)  (Read 4242 times)

Offline dmgonzal

• 1st Kit
Peruvian Peppers? (Aji Amarillo)
« on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:54 pm »
Has anyone made beer with spicy peppers.  I am thinking of making one with some Peruvian peppers and was wondering if I should grill them or what is the best way to get the flavor and some heat into the brew.  Also any suggestions for what the base should be? Pale Ale?  Any thoughts. 

How much should I use for a 5 gallon batch?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Peruvian Peppers? (Aji Amarillo)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »
I like to make pepper beers. 
I scorch the skin on an open flame until it's black and then peel it off under running water.  Then I cut the seeds out and put them in the toaster oven at 200F for 15 minutes to kill anything lurking.  Then I put them either into the secondary or into the keg.  It takes some practice to get the right heat level.  My MO is to use poblano peppers for the aroma and flavor and add half a habanero (in 5 gallons) for heat.
I think pepper beers work best in less hoppy styles, especially roasty beers, but I've had pretty darn good Belgian style pepper beers, too. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:04:43 pm »
When Jeff Gladish speaks about using peppers, wise people should listen.  He's turned out some of the best pepper beers and meads I've tasted.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »
When Jeff Gladish speaks about using peppers, wise people should listen.  He's turned out some of the best pepper beers and meads I've tasted.

Wow.  I am humbled.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesssman

• Cellarman
    • Home Brewer TV
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »
I also do a pepper beer which is always on tap. I use jalapeno and habanero peppers. I cut them into slivers and soak them in some cheap vodka before adding them to a keg. I might have to try roasting them sometime.

Gary

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:07:10 am »
I also do a pepper beer which is always on tap. I use jalapeno and habanero peppers. I cut them into slivers and soak them in some cheap vodka before adding them to a keg. I might have to try roasting them sometime.

Gary

I roast them not for flavor, but because when I first started making pepper beers they had no head retention.  The beers would pour with a big foamy head and then poof it would disappear.  After roasting the peppers and removing the shiny skin the head retention improved, so I've been doing it that way ever since.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:13:46 am »

Wow.  I am humbled.

ditto that, a big +1 on Gordon
Jeff may be humbled, but his pepper beers & meads speak for themselves
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dmgonzal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:52:01 am »
I scorch the skin on an open flame until it's black and then peel it off under running water.  Then I cut the seeds out and put them in the toaster oven at 200F for 15 minutes to kill anything lurking.  Then I put them either into the secondary or into the keg.  It takes some practice to get the right heat level.  My MO is to use poblano peppers for the aroma and flavor and add half a habanero (in 5 gallons) for heat.
I think pepper beers work best in less hoppy styles, especially roasty beers, but I've had pretty darn good Belgian style pepper beers, too. 

Jeff,

Thanks for the insight.  I may have missed it in your post above, but do you add the seeds with what remains of the pepper after you peel the scorched skin off or just the seeds?  If you add the pepper meat that remains, do you throw that into the secondary as well?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

Jeff,

Thanks for the insight.  I may have missed it in your post above, but do you add the seeds with what remains of the pepper after you peel the scorched skin off or just the seeds?  If you add the pepper meat that remains, do you throw that into the secondary as well?
No, I leave the seeds out and use the rest of the pepper.  If it's not hot enough you can always add more/hotter pepper.  I just put 2 poblanos and one ancho chili into 4 gallons of wheat beer this morning.  I lowered it into the keg in a big tea strainer suspended by some dental floss.  I am eager to try it out later today.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995