Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Galaxy hops  (Read 2151 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Galaxy hops
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:31:48 pm »
Can anyone get or has anyone used Galaxy hops in the US?  It's a popular new hop in Australia, with an interesting tropical fruit character.  Just didn't know if it was available here, or if it had the same character once it arrived. 

Aside from that, I found a lot of use of Cascade in AU.  Most good American pale ales I tried (commercial ones) used that hop.  It was very retro, but in a good way.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Galaxy hops
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:22 pm »
This is what I've found from a google search.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1161

Sounds interesting.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:38:09 am »
They are derived from Perle which I found to be very earthy. Interesting they get tropical as a late addition.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »
I've had 3 oz for quite some time, but have yet to use them.  I ordered them, Nelson Sauvin, and Mouteka.  Only one I've used so far is the NS.  Used it as a finishing hop in Tasty's Dortmunder.  Came out really nice.
Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:03 pm »
I have used Galaxy twice before.  Once in a Pale Ale as a finishing hop with Northern Brewer for bittering.  It was OK.  In a local competition, one judge said it smelled like cat pee :(   The other brew was an Amber where Northern Brewer was again used for bittering, but for finishing, Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin were used.  That beer did better in competition, getting a first and second place awards.

Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy are quite similar and both are very potent.  It only takes a small amount in the finish for them to be come noticeable.  I have not yet tried using them earlier in the boil to see how they do there.

Tom
Cascade Brewers Society