Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Da Vinci Syrup for Fruit Beer  (Read 1725 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Da Vinci Syrup for Fruit Beer
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:13 am »
My wife likes fruit beers and its something I brew now and then to keep her happy.  They are kind of unstable though, you invariably get a second fermentation and while thats going on they are yeasty, and when its over some of the nice aromas are gassed out.  I actually have a cream ale I'm brewing now, that I'm going to dose with fresh strawberries and put in my serving fridge to prevent refermentation.

We had some Da Vinci sugar-free raspberry syrup in the cabinet and when I poured her a hefe I thought it would be interesting to add a touch of this.  I'd used it once before on a Berlinner Weisse and enjoyed it.  Well she really liked it so I now have a good way of making her fruit beer while keeping the base beer drinkable as well.  I also think that since its sugar-free, you could add it and bottle or keg and it would remain stable.  It tastes quite a bit better than extracts I've used.  There are a lot of flavors of these syrups too.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Da Vinci Syrup for Fruit Beer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:45 am »
That's a good idea for dosing in the glass or doing a whole keg.  I think I'd save it for the glass, then people can add however much they like.  I've done it with coffee in a stout, some people would do 50/50 :)

I've read that fresh strawberries fade really quickly and end up disappointing, and my own experience with a strawberry mead bears that out.  Buy a bottle of the strawberry syrup, and eat the strawberries. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:47 am »
adding a tsp of potassium meta will help to keep the refermentation from going as well.  I do that with apfelwein if I want it sweet.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:34:21 am »
I do that too. Gotta be careful what brands you use though.. davinci is one of the best ones... torani sucks... but I throw some chocolate in the stout for my wife when shes in the mood. I also have mandarin orange that I use for adding to golden brews...
Phoenix, AZ