Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29330 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »
I picked up the first round of Silver Queen Corn from a local produce stand today. It's about that time of year to start getting some local produce. My garden is coming along nicely but still not quite producing yet.
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »
Mmmmmm, grilled corn.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2011, 12:10:18 am »
Ag theft is a big problem here in Hawaii.  It sucks to work hard for a crop for months, only to have it disappear overnight.  It may seem romantic to jump a fence and grab a freebee, but before you do, put yourself in the farmer's shoes for a moment.

I've been on the losing end of the deal more than once, and I can tell you it's very disheartening...

Well, thing is, he never picks them. Usually they're just left there. I don't know why. So I rescue them before they can rot. It's a community service. And no, he's not a super old dude, he's just really busy and away on business most of the time.

Also, Gordon, even if I did know where a good truffle spot was, I wouldn't go. People get killed (seriously) over that sort of knowledge.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

ccarlson

« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2011, 06:39:27 am »
Ag theft is a big problem here in Hawaii.  It sucks to work hard for a crop for months, only to have it disappear overnight.  It may seem romantic to jump a fence and grab a freebee, but before you do, put yourself in the farmer's shoes for a moment.

I've been on the losing end of the deal more than once, and I can tell you it's very disheartening...

Well, thing is, he never picks them. Usually they're just left there. I don't know why. So I rescue them before they can rot. It's a community service. And no, he's not a super old dude, he's just really busy and away on business most of the time.

Also, Gordon, even if I did know where a good truffle spot was, I wouldn't go. People get killed (seriously) over that sort of knowledge.

If you ask him and he knows that you're taking them, then it's not stealing, however, if you "assume" that they're going to waste and take them without his knowledge, then it's theft.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

If you ask him and he knows that you're taking them, then it's not stealing, however, if you "assume" that they're going to waste and take them without his knowledge, then it's theft.

Man, I didn't know taking a couple figs every now and then was such SRS BSNS. Anyway, back on thread, seems like my beets are just about ready. The wife says roast them, but I kinda want to go the pickle route. Seems like we'll have enough to do either way. Mmmm, beets...
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:29 am »
Ooh beets. Pickled with chilis and ginger. Or roasted and then pickled... I'm thinking beet salad with orange and tarragon.

Don't worry about the figs. I pick some of my neighbor's or the animals will get everything. It's a rent-house so I figure they don't know about the two fig trees back along the fence. I've found some strange boot-prints back near my garden- maybe I lost a couple tomatoes to opportunists but I had a lot this year. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:20 am »
Red beets, I assume?  I had a great salad last night with roasted golden beets, but I think red would work too.  Trim, peel, cut into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper, and roast.  Let cool.  Simple vinaigrette with sherry vinegar, olive oil, shallots, salt and pepper.  Toast some walnuts in a pan with walnut oil, salt and pepper.  Shred some romain and endive, put beets on top,  add some orange segments, drizzle with vinaigrette, top with crumbled goat cheese, walnuts, chopped garlic chives.  A bit involved, but really good.  Restaurant quality, I thought.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:09 pm »
YUM!  That sounds great, Gordon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2011, 01:02:25 pm »
Red beets, I assume?  I had a great salad last night with roasted golden beets, but I think red would work too.  Trim, peel, cut into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper, and roast.  Let cool.  Simple vinaigrette with sherry vinegar, olive oil, shallots, salt and pepper.  Toast some walnuts in a pan with walnut oil, salt and pepper.  Shred some romain and endive, put beets on top,  add some orange segments, drizzle with vinaigrette, top with crumbled goat cheese, walnuts, chopped garlic chives.  A bit involved, but really good.  Restaurant quality, I thought.

I do something similar with beets, a bit simpler though, just roast the beets, when they are done I toss the greens from the beets, some shallots sliced thin in teh pan with them and toss till the shallots are more or less cooked or the heat is all gone. Toast some walnuts in a dry pan and top whatever greens make themselves available with the beets and nuts and some chevre then mix some balsamic or cider or redwine vinegar into the cooking oil from the beets, salt and pepper and good to go.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »
I planted some WY 3711 in this fertile,cooled, oxygenated wert   ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2011, 12:37:54 am »
Beet salad is a favorite around here but it's always done with pre-cooked beets. It's hard to find fresh beets around here and the markets only ever have pre-cooked. A majority percentage of beet production in France goes to producing beet sugar, which we use instead of HFCS or cane sugar. Cane sugar, believe it or not, is apparently seen as a product of slavery due to the working conditions where it's produced, so it's not used very much in industrial food production. Allegedly.

I do love a beet salad with walnuts though, maybe some shaved pecorino. Gordon I'll have to try your recipe, how long and at what temp did you do the beets?
----

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2011, 06:27:06 am »
I do love a beet salad with walnuts though, maybe some shaved pecorino. Gordon I'll have to try your recipe, how long and at what temp did you do the beets?

The beets were on the large side, not quite as big as a baseball.  Trimmed and peeled, then quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into half-inch pieces.  Toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar, plus salt and pepper.  Roast in a pan for 25 minutes at 475F, covered with foil. Remove foil, toss, roast for 10 minutes. Check doneness, toss and roast more if needed.  Drain and cool.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

ccarlson

« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:56 am »
I like a lot of different veg tables, but beets is not one of them. Maybe it's never been prepared right for me.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:15 am »
I had good luck with beets just harshly brushed clean, wrapped in tin foil and baked
like a potato, mash with your fork,then apply butter and salt to taste.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:49 am »
Couple things that I planted last fall.  This is their 1st Year Bloom....I like  ;D