Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29098 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »
Plus planted 1 red delicious and 1 golden delicious apple trees and an olive tree of all things. They say they will grow around here. We'll see.
I hope they are right.  Because they told me I can grow figs and kiwis here.  So far they look to be surviving the winter fine, and I actually got a fig off of the "tree" last summer.  Time will tell.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:24 am »
Just finished planting everything for this season. Here's the rundown:

Blueberries - needing a bit of watering, we've gone 2 weeks with no rain and it's been unseasonably hot.

Corn - eventually. I hope.

We decided to do raised beds for most of the crop this year, here's an overall view.

The two beds on the left: in the back, we've got beets, cucumbers and carrots. In the front we've got batavia lettuce, spinach, and Romanesco Cabbage.

The two beds on the right: in back are bell peppers, eggplant, cherry tomatoes and lettuce down the middle. In front are poblano, jalapeno, Petin and another I forget at the moment (thanks for the seeds Euge!), as well as a bunch of beefsteak tomatoes.

Can't forget my hops! EKG, Cascade and Centennial. The EKG are thriving, the others are a little late to the party but they're getting there. I want to train these up and over my deck.

Squash and pumpkin. Not pictured: Watermelon along a low wall that gets sun all the time. I've never grown watermelon before and I dunno how it's going to turn out, but I certainly hope it'll be good.

Strawberries and rhubarb. Those two, macerated and then pureed, make a hell of a compote for topping banana pancakes.

The wife's herb garden. Green and red basil, dill, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, cumin, lemon verbena, tarragon, rainbow sage, and three different kinds of mint: chocolate, moroccan, and milly-la-foret - milly-la-foret is a village close to here that's famous for mint production.

We've also got plum and cherry trees and I hope I can get to the fruit before the birds and worms. We'll see...

And now for a beer!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2011, 10:55:52 am »
I'm pulling all my radishes today and pickling them.  We're eating spinach almost every day, sweet peas are getting ready to be eaten.  Beets and carrots are slow this year, the green beans and cowpeas are sprouted, cukes and cantaloupes are sprouting.  Tomatoes and squash plants are holding their own.  I planted 24 asparagus crowns and they're all up and looking good.
But my 2 best growing "crops" are the tumbleweeds and mustard weed that are taking over everything.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2011, 11:00:23 am »
Haven't gotten a chance to plant anything yet but the lettuce and arugula I put in last year is still going strong. I didn't know it was such a rugged plant.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
It was announced to me that I may have to go to a Lengthy training class
for a new piece of equipment on the job site.....I mean 4-6 -8 weeks not sure how long
and so with that looming over my head I am pissy because I may NOT get to plant
and tend a little bit of a garden that we so do enjoy here.....I only have a 3 month growing
season and that much of a chunk of time out of that growing window leaves  me grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
umbling about my job again.....see
Man, work is p!$$!ng me off
thread
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »
Here's mine. Got a late start this year so just have a token garden. Only 6 tomato plants, 2 jalapeƱo and one cucumber. Gets full sun the majority of the day- a southern exposure. It's humid and hot as sh!t outside...

Awwww... already got a couple cute little tomatoes...

Plans are for some corn and sunflowers.

Farmer Phil hope those peppers turn out well for ya!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

ccarlson

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »
I've never tried raised beds. Just wondering what everyone thinks is the advantage, other than getting a little warmer in the early spring?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:51 pm »
I'm jealous, the only thing I've planted so far is radishes, broccoli raab, sweet onions, and carrots.  The rest has to wait for the weather to get warmer.  Oh, and I planted a nectarine and a sweet cherry tree.  And rhubarb, and rosemary.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »
I've never tried raised beds. Just wondering what everyone thinks is the advantage, other than getting a little warmer in the early spring?

Tons of advantages to raised beds...  better drainage, better working height, soil composition control, easier weeding, and the list goes on and on
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »

Tons of advantages to raised beds...  better drainage, better working height, soil composition control, easier weeding, and the list goes on and on

Ditto.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »

For me the benefit is that it's easier to work on (don't need to stoop down all that way) and the weeds are less likely to get in there, at least the first year. Plus it looks a whole lot cleaner. I didn't know they stay warmer, but that's cool!
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »
Heh, seems we all posted the same thing at the same time.

I was also quite proud to have built them myself, while my neighbor/landlord bought these little 1m x 1m x 50cm guys done up in some fancy wood with a lining and handles and whatnot. He's got 6 of them, and one of them cost what all of mine cost, PLUS the dirt.

Although I do imagine his will last longer than mine, but still.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:17 pm »

And now for a beer!

Very Impressive. That was quite the amount of work phil...but I think you'll reap the rewards.

I just started preparing my garden for planting. I'll be sure to post some pics when it's planted.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »
Hops: Willamette, Cascade, Mt. Hood and Zeus.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »

And now for a beer!

Very Impressive. That was quite the amount of work phil...but I think you'll reap the rewards.

I just started preparing my garden for planting. I'll be sure to post some pics when it's planted.  ;)

Well I have to give credit to the wife for doing about 50-60% of all this. Of course she stays home, though, so she has more time to work out there. Wish I could be a stay-at-home dad sometimes, with weather like this...
----