Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29329 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2011, 02:07:04 am »
I'm guessing the Petin might go pretty well in a salsa - can't wait for them to get going.

Puna, thanks for the tip on the tomato miraclegro. I dunno if I can get it out here but I'm sure I can find an equivalent.

A few questions for those of you with more experience:
 1. My blueberries are doing horribly - wilted leaves, although the fruit looks like it's forming. My soil is really clay-like, loamy. Could this be the problem?

2. I bought some Romanesco cabbage plants - I love fractals - but they're not doing well. They're in a potting soil mix and get watered every other day. Anything I should be doing?

3. I planted corn seed two weeks ago but still nothing germinating. How long does it typically take, and is there anything specific I should do in terms of planting and watering?

4. My hops have holes in their leaves. Will this keep them from growing, or prevent the hop cones from forming? What could it be? I've seen ants crawling on them but I didn't think ants liked hops.

5. I've never done watermelon before. The leaves are starting to curl a bit, should I be watering it every day?

Thanks guys! The cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, rhubarb, chilis and peppers are doing really well though.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2011, 02:18:54 am »
Miracle Gro for tomatos = completely water-soluable 18-18-21 - applied while watering - once a week.

It's hard to tell for sure, but from what I can see from your pictures, it looks as if your soil is well suited to grapes.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:51 am »
Miracle Gro for tomatos = completely water-soluable 18-18-21 - applied while watering - once a week.

It's hard to tell for sure, but from what I can see from your pictures, it looks as if your soil is well suited to grapes.

Yeah they grow everywhere here. I'd only be really interested in concord or some of the seedless edible varities though - I can't imagine growing grapes for wine would result in very good wine here, although who knows.
----

Offline punatic

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:39 am »

Yeah they grow everywhere here. I'd only be really interested in concord or some of the seedless edible varities though - I can't imagine growing grapes for wine would result in very good wine here, although who knows.

Can you say, "pyment?"

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:50 am »

Can you say, "pyment?"

eh?
----

Offline punatic

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:13 am »
Pyment is mead made with grape juice and honey.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:43 am »

+1

I use Miracle Grow on my vegetable garden. I swear by this stuff. I've been using it for over 20 years with great success.

A little dab will do ya.  ;) 

1tbl per gallon works well. Apply it every 4 weeks or so.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2011, 08:31:50 am »
Phil if you can't find Miracle Grow locally or the Frenchie version Amazon should have it. I use it a couple of times during the cycle. It does work. If you have access to compost you can make a "compost tea" instead. Just be sure not to burn your plants.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

ccarlson

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2011, 08:45:06 am »
Miracle Grow is very good stuff, but I find that sprinkling a little 13-13-13 around every couple of weeks is cheaper and does about the same. Be sure and wash off any that lands on the leaves right after the application. I use a small plastic cup, with some holes in the bottom, as an applicator.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »

1. My blueberries are doing horribly - wilted leaves, although the fruit looks like it's forming. My soil is really clay-like, loamy. Could this be the problem?

4. My hops have holes in their leaves. Will this keep them from growing, or prevent the hop cones from forming? What could it be? I've seen ants crawling on them but I didn't think ants liked hops.

Blueberries need acidic soil, so clay isn't good for them. Get some diataceous earth or compost and put it around the plants, and they should do better.

Holes in hop leaves will most likely be from slugs at night. Unless they eat the whole plant, I wouldn't worry.

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2011, 01:02:43 am »

Blueberries need acidic soil, so clay isn't good for them. Get some diataceous earth or compost and put it around the plants, and they should do better.

Holes in hop leaves will most likely be from slugs at night. Unless they eat the whole plant, I wouldn't worry.

Ah so I don't have to dig the blueberries up, I can just sprinkle the dirt on top?

Slugs... Yeah, I see their shiny trails when I get up in the morning but they usually hang out around the low garden wall we have. I'll sneak out late tonight and check.
----

Offline punatic

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:35 am »
Slugs... Yeah, I see their shiny trails when I get up in the morning but they usually hang out around the low garden wall we have. I'll sneak out late tonight and check.

Slugs like beer.  If you put out a small bowl of beer they will be attracted to it, fall in and drown.

I use 16-16-16 on my larger garden areas that need fertilizing.  It works well.  But, on my herbs, spices and peppers I use Miracle Gro.  It kicks ass!  I mix 1tbs to 1gal and water my herb garden with it once a week.  It is in liquid form so the plants absorb the fertilizer through the foliage too.  You'd think I was growing 1950's radioactive mutants by the way they grow!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2011, 02:59:05 am »

Slugs like beer.  If you put out a small bowl of beer they will be attracted to it, fall in and drown.

I use 16-16-16 on my larger garden areas that need fertilizing.  It works well.  But, on my herbs, spices and peppers I use Miracle Gro.  It kicks ass!  I mix 1tbs to 1gal and water my herb garden with it once a week.  It is in liquid form so the plants absorb the fertilizer through the foliage too.  You'd think I was growing 1950's radioactive mutants by the way they grow!

So as long as I'm asking questions and people are answering (;)) I have lemon verbena and dill amongst the other herbs and neither of them are doing so great. Do they require less watering than the other ones (basil, thyme, sage, etc) or is it the sun that's getting them? They're in sun about 5 hours a day.

Gardening is fun. Puna I'm jealous of your bounty - I can't imagine what it's like having a year-long growing season, and mangos in the garden to boot!
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:55 am »
I love messing with the garden. It's tremendously rewarding and even relaxing is some odd way.

Some plants don't grow well next to other types. Don't know about dill and lemon verbena. Probably just a soil issue though.

Just put in my second raised bed yesterday. Planted corn and onions. Next is a herb-garden in a semi-shady spot. I want to plant some dill too for fish and pickling.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

Ah so I don't have to dig the blueberries up, I can just sprinkle the dirt on top?

Mike Mcgrath, former editor of organic gardening and host of a local NPR show "you bet your garden," recommends putting an inch of peat moss and an inch of compost on the soil around the plant.  I spread it out about a foot away from the plant, but make sure you don't put it up against the stem.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National