Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whatcha Brewin' this week -- 2009 Dec 2 - Dec 8?  (Read 11176 times)

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
Re: Whatcha Brewin' this week -- 2009 Dec 2 - Dec 8?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:12 am »
I have a Belgian Barleywine just into the fermenter, and I hope to add an ESB this weekend.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 07:25:50 am »
Brewing an Old Ale I never got around to a couple weeks ago.

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:26:20 am »
Got my strike water going right now and am going to brew an Octoberfest, it is windy and 32 degrees outside, what a great day to brew.  ;D  

Offline jbar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 10:39:02 am »
Just pitched the yeast in a 5 gallon batch of an IPA yesterday. Bubbling away as expected ;D

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »
Brewed  6 gallons of an Octoberfest and pitching  2 different yeasts, 1 carboy with 3 gallons of wort has S-23 saflager and the other carboy of 3 gallons of wort has a partial Cal Lager yeast cake, just to see what each yeast does.

Offline pdbreen

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 04:26:38 pm »
If the starter proves viable (slurry looks good, but haven't tested attenuation and it's an old pack), then a smoked porter tomorrow and hopefully a barley wine to age for next year on Monday or Tuesday.
Atomic Dog Brewery
On Deck: Imperial Stout, Nut Brown
P: American IPA, Irish Red, Barley Wine, Smoked Porter
S: British IPA, Hefe Weizen, Zinfandel
K: Apfelwein x 2, Graff, Phat Tyre, Lefse Blonde, Cream Ale
T: 3 Hearted, Dry Irish Stout

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 07:54:21 am »
I have a Belgian Barleywine just into the fermenter, and I hope to add an ESB this weekend.
Belgian Barleywine?  Mind posting the recipe?

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 08:02:29 am »

Kind of curious about that myself.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »
I just brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest. However, my hydrometer broke, so I am not sure if what I have will be an Oktoberfest or a Vienna Lager. I've been getting 80-83% efficiency the last 5 brews (I should add that my past 5-10 brews have produced far, far better beer than my previous 2+ years of brewing, thanks in no small part to this and other forums), so I built a recipe that would be an Oktoberfest from 78-84% and would be a Vienna Lager from 70-78... whatever it is, I just hope it's delicious. I put a lot of effort into this one, even customizing my water to be similar to Munich water. Also, I ended up with almost 9 gal of sweet wort, so I did a 110 min boil to get the volume down to 5.5 gal. I didn't notice any activity this morning, but the fermometer reads that the carboy is at 48F. in about 10 days when I transfer, I will be lagering this beside last month's altbier and probably taking a 2-month break from brewing.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
I just brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest. However, my hydrometer broke, so I am not sure if what I have will be an Oktoberfest or a Vienna Lager. I've been getting 80-83% efficiency the last 5 brews (I should add that my past 5-10 brews have produced far, far better beer than my previous 2+ years of brewing, thanks in no small part to this and other forums), so I built a recipe that would be an Oktoberfest from 78-84% and would be a Vienna Lager from 70-78... whatever it is, I just hope it's delicious. I put a lot of effort into this one, even customizing my water to be similar to Munich water. Also, I ended up with almost 9 gal of sweet wort, so I did a 110 min boil to get the volume down to 5.5 gal. I didn't notice any activity this morning, but the fermometer reads that the carboy is at 48F. in about 10 days when I transfer, I will be lagering this beside last month's altbier and probably taking a 2-month break from brewing.

awesome man.  but FWIW, subtle grist changes are more what makes vienna distinct from oktoberfest, not just gravity.  vienna is typically all or mostly all vienna, whereas fest is usually base of vienna with munich and pils added.

no brewing this weekend, but we're doing a club brew next weekend - 70 gal in two days!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 06:01:23 pm »
I knocked out a smallish Saison based off of the Farmhouse Ales' recipe for a classic Saison today, and am off to judge the Palmetto Brewer's Competition in the morning down in Columbia, SC. I guess it is fitting that I get to judge Belgian & French Ales in the morning considering I brewed a Saison today.
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 07:19:37 am »
I am thinking of doing a home smoked Cherry wood Porter with the Denny's yeast.

On the other hand, it is suddenly cold enough to brew a Pilsner!  I use temp control on the fermenter, in the big fridge called the garage.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 08:00:18 am »
Sure, but it's a brand new, never-before brewed recipe, so I don't know how it will turn out. It's just something I've wanted to do for a while, and I had a nice big slurry of White Labs 575 Belgian Blend, so I figured it was time. My inspiration was Scaldis, but I made no attempt to make a clone. The recipe is just my own ideas. The recipe for 5.5 gallons:
7' Belgian Pale, 6' Belgian Pils, 3.5' Briess 6-row pale, 1/2' Caravienne, 1/2' Aromatic, mash at 149° for 90 minutes. 2' clear candi sugar added, boil 90 minutes. 1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings pellets (5.2 aa) for 70 min., 1 oz Sterling whole (8.7 aa) each for 15, 5, and at knockout. Pitched the yeast at 62°, fermenter rose to 70° before starting to drop off. Over 1/2 gallon blew off in the first 18 hours (wow!). OG 1.106, FG TBD, calculated 42 ibu's.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:50 am »
I am brewing Bohemian Pilsner.
I wanted to brew October fest but my German yeast took a runer. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 08:35:21 pm »
Denny's RIPA on Tuesday after work. I'm toying with mashing in before work but my guess is I won't be that organized in the morning.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.