Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1007 for IPA's???  (Read 7688 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Wyeast 1007 for IPA's???
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:16:22 pm »
In another topic thread, Denny mentioned that Wyeast 1007 (Alt yeast) might be a good strain for IPAs.  I was wondering why he - and others - might believe this.  I'm all about making my favorite beers better.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wyeast 1007 for IPA's???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:26 pm »
I don't know if I'd say it was really better than anything else, but it works great...it's "as good as"!  It's a nice clean yeast, which is what I look for in an APA/AIPA recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »
Denny... thanks for your input.  I ordered the Wyeast 1007 - on it's way from Williams as we write.  My recent IPA's have been somewhat solvent-like.  I don't know if the temps were too high (my belief as the ambient temps were around 70), or if I took the beer off the yeast too soon (although the final gravities were hit)... or some other reason.  I figured the lower temperature yeast would make a cleaner IPA taste.  I'll just have to adjust my outside porch to maintain a 55 - 60 temperature range to accommodate the Wyeast 1007. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:30:10 pm »
Yeow!  70 ambient is too high for any ale, AFAIAC!  If you can get it down into the low 60s it would be much better, and it works great down to 52F.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »
Denny... that's what they tell me  :-\.  I'm going to make sure the temperature of the fermenting beers rises no more than the low 60's.  My outside porch stays right around 60.

On a side note, the subscription to AHA has been well worth it given all the great advice I've been getting on this forum.  I live in Seoul, South Korea and there's not much brewing "expertise" here.  When I have the time, I read my small library of beer books and talk to our little group of homebrewers here (Homebrewkorea.com).  I (very) occassionally miss some of the big brewing points though... like the ambient room temperature one.  But having the passion is motivation enough to strive to do better and this site is very enlightening.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »
Wow, brewing in Korea has got to be challenging!  I'm glad we've been able to provide help and some chat with other brewers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »
It's much more challenging to brew in Korea for those who have no base access.  I can receive mail from the US through the military mail system.  Those who live on the local economy are subject to international shipping rates.  The Korean government taxes imported barley by 270% by the way.  So I avoid that tax also.  The South Korean beer market is insanely putrid.  I keep hoping they figure it out... like the Japanese have done over the last 10 years or so.  I met a masterbrewer from the OB Brewing Company a few weeks ago - he's been retired for a while though.  We got to talking about India Pale Ales.  I could see he hadn't a clue about the hopping rates that go into making an IPA.  Further, I know a Korean guy who owns a small 7-bbl brewery.  I tried to help him make an IPA.  Unfortunately I was sick the day they brewed that recipe and they ended up short-changing the beer of almost all the hops.  They had no concept of how we use hops in our IPA's.  The beer is now called a Golden Ale for the local American-style brewpub that just opened here.  The locals think this beer is exotic... haha.  The brewer (Ka-Brew) is planning on making a real IPA soon... with pounds of hops this time!  I hope I can help him make it... along with some of us other homebrewers here.  I really want to help Korea develop a beer culture before I leave!!!   ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:04 am »
Good on ya, man, and good luck!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:33 am »
Grow your own hops? You're around the 37 th parallel, right?  In a few years, then y'all can brew all the IPA's you want.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:28 am »
The thing about WY1007 is that it tends to take longer to ferment and clear than, say, WY1056 (or WLP001). Makes a decent IPA, but I wouldn't say it makes a "better" IPA than an American Strain. I'm in the opposite position. I would love to use WY1007 for my alt in my brewery but I'm hesitant to switch from WLP001 for my IPA because of the turn around time on WY1007. I can get WLP001 to clear up much faster and it makes a pretty darn good Alt, so thats what I use for now (and I don't want to have to deal with another "similar" strain.)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
In your position, Keith, that makes perfect sense.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:20:13 am »
The thing about WY1007 is that it tends to take longer to ferment and clear than, say, WY1056 (or WLP001). Makes a decent IPA, but I wouldn't say it makes a "better" IPA than an American Strain. I'm in the opposite position. I would love to use WY1007 for my alt in my brewery but I'm hesitant to switch from WLP001 for my IPA because of the turn around time on WY1007. I can get WLP001 to clear up much faster and it makes a pretty darn good Alt, so thats what I use for now (and I don't want to have to deal with another "similar" strain.)

I'm with majorvices! It makes a decent IPA, but is waaaaay slow in dropping out. I'd certainly use it in a pinch, but if time's available then I'd prop-up another strain. My strain of choice for American IPA's is WY1272-American II or WY1028-London Ale for an English version..  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 09:30:54 am »
Just wondering if the slow flocculation of the 1007 is part of the reason that it does a good job of cleaning up after itself when used in the traditional altbier lagering method.  tanstaafl.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »
Just wondering if the slow flocculation of the 1007 is part of the reason that it does a good job of cleaning up after itself when used in the traditional altbier lagering method.  tanstaafl.

That is pretty much what they say in "Yeast" for highly flocculant yeast vs. powdery yeast and the amount of diacetyl.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!