Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Convention prices... :-(  (Read 7453 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Convention prices... :-(
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:31:58 am »
That $270 is for one person? How much is it if I want to take my wife with me? As it is, if I decided to go it's going to be about $1,500 for plane tickets, $1,100 for hotel and then $270 x 2, which all said and done comes to a little more than $3,000. That doesn't include food and stuff of course. Does anybody else pay this much? I realize not all of you are coming from overseas, nor are you staying a week in the hotel, but jeez, this seems like an expensive thing.

Are the conventions usually on the west coast? Any chance that next year it'll be in NYC or something a little easier to get to?

Are there any not-qute NHC conventions that go on besides the GABF? I want to meet you guys in person, but not if it's going to cost a month's salary.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
Re: Convention prices... :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:06 am »
I am in the place as you with the NHC being really expensive and not just the event tickets. I just did a cost analysis today and realized that it is is going to cost about 2.5 grand for me to. but contrary to your cost that includes everything with food and all. IT would add up to  the 3 grand with possible lost wages and over time and the use of half of my vacation time.

It kinda sucks. I guess I can create my own version by brewing all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:27 am »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:48 am »
Where do you get $270? http://www.ahaconference.org/conference-information/registration/

Typo, sorry. Still, $230 vs $270 is only $40 difference. Not complaining about the cost of entry, I know that needs to be priced the way it is, but the question remains as to whether or not the NHC is always west of the Rockies. I have no idea and am making no assumptions, I'm just asking.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:01:47 am »
Maybe theoman and I can have a little European NHC :-p
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:36:13 am »
I wouldn't recommend the full conference for your wife unless she is into brewing.  She might be happy with the social package and the banquet (and maybe not even that) and having free time to explore the area while you are in lectures.

I've never spent that much money ($3K), but then I'm not coming from Europe.  I think $1500 was the max for me (1 person) for flight, hotel, and conference fees.  It should be a little cheaper for me this year since it's on the West coast, but in the past several years the conference has been in locations closer to you.  Roughly by distance from France . . . places like Baltimore, Orlando, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Denver, Las Vegas, Oakland . . . so no, it's not always on the West coast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:47:31 am »
I wouldn't recommend the full conference for your wife unless she is into brewing.  She might be happy with the social package and the banquet (and maybe not even that) and having free time to explore the area while you are in lectures.

I've never spent that much money ($3K), but then I'm not coming from Europe.  I think $1500 was the max for me (1 person) for flight, hotel, and conference fees.  It should be a little cheaper for me this year since it's on the West coast, but in the past several years the conference has been in locations closer to you.  Roughly by distance from France . . . places like Baltimore, Orlando, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Denver, Las Vegas, Oakland . . . so no, it's not always on the West coast.

So can we have it in Iceland next year? That's halfway for both of us! :-)
----

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:33 am »

So can we have it in Iceland next year? That's halfway for both of us! :-)

Unfortunately, Iceland wouldn't work, though I'd love to go there. The conference does rotate around, but one of the key factors is having a number of home brew clubs in an area that are willing to work together to put it on. There's a LOT of work that needs doing, and all of that by volunteers from clubs.

I'm looking at the same issues, but coming from Florida. I haven't been to an NHC in a few years though I used to go regularly (by myself). Looking at taking my wife and making a vacation out of it. Still deciding. Finances still tight with the economy.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:39 am »
I've heard Philly rumors for next year, but again they are just rumors ( or wishful thinking on my part - I could take a train there ).

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:48 am »
I've heard Philly rumors for next year, but again they are just rumors ( or wishful thinking on my part - I could take a train there ).

Yeah, that'd be awesome if that were to happen.  Philly I could actually make happen.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:40 am »

That would even work for me. But until then the money i had alocated is going to be used for an all grain system.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:29 am »
While we will be on the east coast soon, it won't be next year.  As has been pointed out, the main thing about a location is to have a local organization step up and put it on.  The AHA doesn't decide on a location, then look for people to do it.  We wait until someone brings us a proposal.  If you want the NHC closer to you, get a group together and submit a proposal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:14 am »
While we will be on the east coast soon, it won't be next year.  As has been pointed out, the main thing about a location is to have a local organization step up and put it on.  The AHA doesn't decide on a location, then look for people to do it.  We wait until someone brings us a proposal.  If you want the NHC closer to you, get a group together and submit a proposal.

Great...sounds like another West Coast trip...Seattle? Portland? 

I hear you about the local club support, but I doubt 1200 homebrewers are going to come to Manchester, NH.  Not even sure we have to hotel capacity to handle something like this.  Boston would be the closest big city but good luck getting any favorable rates at hotels or convention space in June.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:35 am »
Not even sure we have to hotel capacity to handle something like this.  Boston would be the closest big city but good luck getting any favorable rates at hotels or convention space in June.

Welcome to part two of the convention conundrum. Getting volunteer groups together is the first bit of pain. (It's a lot of work, but it's fun.. look at me I'm helping on my 4th). Where the convention is right now sizewise is the second. We've been in Manchester before, but that was when the conference was a lot smaller. Now we're at that tipping point size that shunts us more and more towards bigger cities.  Personally, I'd give my eye teeth for a conference in Boston. Be nice to go visit the old stomping grounds again. The main reason we could make San Diego work this year was because the conference hotel (awesome site) offered us a greatly discounted rate that we're unlikely to see again.

At least Manchester would be more capable than my grandparent's town of Jackson NH!

East Coasters you'll feel the love soon. Scout's honor! No lies! Everyone on the staff and the GC loves finding new cities. The airports are interesting on the way to and from the conference hotel! :)

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:30:23 am »
The airports are interesting on the way to and from the conference hotel! :)

...and just think, if it weren't for those silly TSA rules, the flights themselves could also be "interesting"
Joe