Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Convention prices... :-(  (Read 7454 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Convention prices... :-(
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 09:54:05 am »
Now that's an idea. But seriously, there is no governing body for this sort of thing in Europe (at least nothing of which I am aware) - is there any precedent for the AHA pairing up with an equivalent sister organization in another country or region? There's not a whole lot of homebrewing going on around me but I know there's a decent amount elsewhere, although it's never been organized.

Seriously this would be a cool thing - the European Homebrewers' Association.
Australia does a homebrewers conference, you could start small and see where it goes.
http://www.anhc.com.au/home/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 10:58:09 am »
Talked to the wife about it and she immediately said, "Don't worry about me, if you want to go you should!" So maybe I'll be there after all ;-)

So, I suppose having the NATIONAL Homebrewer's Convention in Paris is out? There are no open container laws here, you know.
I'm going to do my best to make it no matter where it is, and I think if you could guarantee 1500 attendees the AHA might go for it.

And open container laws are mostly irrelevant, like I said, I rarely leave the hotel.  Too much going on and too much homebrew to be had.  For Paris though, I could see turning it into a real vacation!

I'd come to Paris for sure - even take the train. But in all seriousness, maybe those of us in Europe should think about putting together an annual European convention. Think of all the great brewing cities we could go to!

Now that's an idea. But seriously, there is no governing body for this sort of thing in Europe (at least nothing of which I am aware) - is there any precedent for the AHA pairing up with an equivalent sister organization in another country or region? There's not a whole lot of homebrewing going on around me but I know there's a decent amount elsewhere, although it's never been organized.

Seriously this would be a cool thing - the European Homebrewers' Association.

Everything has to have a beginning...This is something that could be thought of more seriously, and the AHA may be able to help with thinking about how one might do it.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:39 am »

Pretty cool that there's a water tower next to the convention center like that!  Are you suggesting that we could fill the tower with beer if the NHC is held there?  Wow... talk about a beer bong!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:02:09 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »

Isn't that the SixFlags SkyTrek? We could spin, and drink, and puke from really up high - it'd be awesome!

I have no delusions about AHA coming to Chicago. Everyone who already holds conventions here is running to Florida. ($$$)
The moral majority, is neither.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
Phil - You do have the travel to contend with, and you combine with a home leave from your job?  Don't know your situation.

We have been combining the NHC with some beer travel and other recreation.

2009 in Oakland was combined with a few days near Yosimite.  I hiked to the top of Yosimite falls one day, and that was big fun.

2010 in Minneapolis was combined with a stop at New Glarus, and a stop to see my sister and BIL in Northern WIsconsin.

2011 San Diego will be seeing friends in Orange County, a niece who recently moved to Temecula, and maybe Death Valley or some other parks.

We try and get extra out of the travel to NHC.  

Edit: Once the conference starts you hardly have a chance to see the sun, let alone the city and area.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:21:37 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:46 am »
Our MO is to arrive on Monday and play around until either Wednesday night or if there is a good pre-conference event. For Oakland we went through wine country on a beer tour of our own then returned for the Iron Liver bus ride, for Minn we trekked to Madison and hit the local breweries, brewpubs and draft houses before returning to MN, and for San Diego we plan to visit a majority of the breweries and brewpubs in the area before the conference begins.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 06:30:06 am »
The Brewing Network typically does their anniversary party the Wednesday night of conference week.  Last year they teamed up with Northern Brewer for their 17th Anniversary ( the BN was the 5th ).  I watched from home on the live video feed :(  Not as much fun.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:40 pm »
I usually arrive on Wednesday, but this year I might make it as early as Saturday to do a little touring around.  It should be a lot of fun. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »
I'm scheduled to arrive on Wed. but didn't get a return ticket as of yet.  ::)

I reserved my room for 4 nights and plan to return home on Sunday. The biggest cost is the hotel but when you compare it to other resorts it's really not bad at all. I am always looking for a better deal but in this case there's really no other option AFAIAC. Really looking forward to this awesome event!
Ron Price