General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Using extra wort as a starter?

(1/1)

jbar:
Hello all, new to homebrewing. Based on an over estimate when doing my sparging, i now have about 3/4 of an extra gallon of wort at about 1.050 OG. Can i use this to make starters if i freeze/refrigerate it. After doing some reading everywhere else has you use DME to make the wort for a starter. Just wondering if i can use my extra wort, i feel bad just dumping it out.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

a10t2:
Yup, that's by far the cheapest way to make starters. Just freeze it and then boil when you need to make the starter. You'll probably want to dilute it down to ~1.035 too.

Thirsty_Monk:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on December 02, 2009, 04:17:01 PM ---Yup, that's by far the cheapest way to make starters. Just freeze it and then boil when you need to make the starter. You'll probably want to dilute it down to ~1.035 too.

--- End quote ---
I do the same thing.
I also keep some DME on hand if I need to adjust OG.

ndcube:
I still have left over DME from my extract days.  Once that's gone I plan on getting left over runnings for starters.

pjj2ba:
That's what I do.  Luckily I have access to an aoutoclave.   If I have a bunch of extra, I just put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it.  Then when I need it, I thaw, and then autoclave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version