Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice Hulls?  (Read 8061 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Rice Hulls?
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
Do these work for you?  I've used them and never thought they did anything but soak up more wort.  I don't get many stuck mashes, and if I do I'll just stir and vorlauf again.  I also have good luck raking the top of the grain bed.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
Re: Rice Hulls?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »
If my grain bill is more than 50% wheat, I use rice hulls and have been very happy with the results. No stuck mashes, and I haven't noticed any reduced wort volume.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
I bought a big bag of them before I brewed my first CAP with about 25% flaked corn because I thought it would help with the lautering.  So I've used them for this beer twice now but never for any other beer.  I soak in the mash tun with hot water to :  1) Rinse them off, 2) rehydrate them so I don't absorb a bunch of wort, and 3) preheat the mash tun.  Then I run that water off.  So I don't include them in my grain bill for the purposes of determining absorption.

The last time I considered not bothering but since I had them I used them.  It worked well and I had a nice easy runoff.  But I'm thinking I could probably have gotten away with not bothering.  The next time I brew this beer I'll probably just see how it works without them.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
Rice Hulls = sparge insurance

I use 2-3 handfulls for every mash, 4-5 when using wheat or rye.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:17:22 am »
I've never had a stuck runoff, so I've never had a reason to use them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »
Depends on your crush, too.  I get good results when buying from MLHBS, but bought a bag of Canadien malt pre-crushed and it was too fine!  A pound of rice hulls did the trick!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:01 am »
I made a mistake once with rice hulls.  I thought it would be a good idea to put all the hulls into the strike water first and then add the malts.  What happened was all the rice hulls sank right to the bottom under the pressure of the malt and immediately clogged up my stainless false bottom, resulting in a seriously stuck mash.  I ended up scooping all the mash out into a separate sparge vessel to finish the mash.  Next time I think I'll mix the hulls in with all the grains.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:45 am »
I used them once when I made my first weissbier (about 60% wheat). I wanted to see if they actually made a difference, so I didn't use them when I next brewed the weissbier. No sparge issues whatsoever.  Never used rice hulls since.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »
If I brew with more than 5% unmalted grains or more than 20% wheat or rye, I consider rice hulls insurance.

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »
I have never used them. A lot of folks will but I haven't tried. I even brewed a 100% all-wheat-stout and didn't need them. Probably wouldn't have hurt during that brew, but all went pretty well.

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 04:30:51 pm »
I made a mistake once with rice hulls.  I thought it would be a good idea to put all the hulls into the strike water first and then add the malts.  What happened was all the rice hulls sank right to the bottom under the pressure of the malt and immediately clogged up my stainless false bottom, resulting in a seriously stuck mash.  I ended up scooping all the mash out into a separate sparge vessel to finish the mash.  Next time I think I'll mix the hulls in with all the grains.

Jeff, that is the way that I've always done it. Add the hulls first and then mix in the grain.  I have a RIMS and always turn off the pump when doughing in.  Sorry for the problem.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »

Jeff, that is the way that I've always done it. Add the hulls first and then mix in the grain.  I have a RIMS and always turn off the pump when doughing in.  Sorry for the problem.

Hmmm.  Pump wasn't on yet when that happened.  I usually dump all the grain in at once before commencing the stirring.  Is that what you do?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »
If you stir then why would it matter?

After posing this question, I decided to brew a rye APA this morning (20% rye malt).  I used a handful of hulls just for insurance and of course everything ran off just fine.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »
If you stir then why would it matter?

'Just trying to figure out why it stuck so bad when I did it that way.  I certainly won't do it exactly the same the next time.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 09:25:29 am »
I do dough in slowly and mix all the while.  I'm pretty sure the hulls are interspersed.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks