Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice Hulls?  (Read 8084 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Rice Hulls?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 10:57:25 am »
In thinking about it, its probably better to add them in such a way that they get well mixed into the grist.  They're basically replacing the husks on grain that have none.  Having them at the bottom means you have a cake of stuff above that won't let wort through.  When interspersed they allow the mash cake to be porous.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
i used them occasionally when brewing with wheat or rye, but ever since I learned about malt conditioning on this site, IMO they are no longer necessary.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »
I've never had a stuck runoff, so I've never had a reason to use them.

+1. I brew a beer with 50% wheat very regularly (weekly in fact) and never use them and never have a problem. That said, YMMV. ;)

Offline bearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:27 am »
i used them occasionally when brewing with wheat or rye, but ever since I learned about malt conditioning on this site, IMO they are no longer necessary.

+.5  -should clarify I use a sabco keg with their false bottom..  I went from Denny's cooler method so I could direct fire my MT.   Didn't need them with Denny's setup as well.   I have a big bag just sitting there #5pounds is huge... maybe if I forget to malt condition someday I will need them again in a panic. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:22:40 am by bearcat »

Offline boganbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:06 am »
I use rice hulls in almost all my brews because they greatly improve the circulation in my mash tun.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:30 am »
Rice Hulls = sparge insurance

I use 2-3 handfulls for every mash, 4-5 when using wheat or rye.

+1 I'm efficiency obsessed so I push my crush to the edge.  A friend of mine once said, "Crush 'til you are scared."  For what rice hulls cost, a couple handfulls are better than spending an extra hour lautering.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:34 am »
+1 I'm efficiency obsessed so I push my crush to the edge.  A friend of mine once said, "Crush 'til you are scared." 

Hey, that's my saying!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:43 am »
Hey, that's my saying!

Were you his friend once?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:35 am »
I split 50 lbs of rice hulls with 2 other guys about 2 years ago. I brewed about 50 gallons of german wheat beers that summer. I threw in a couple of pint glasses worth into every batch and never had a stuck sparge. I also made a wheat wine with over 10 lbs of wheat in a 5 gallon batch - that one got sticky but I got it going after adding a pound of rice hulls and re-mixing. By the way rice hulls come packed compressed - it's like opening a bag of peat moss...

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 10:56:44 am »
Will rice hulls help prevent a stuck sparge on large mashes?

We have an issue when we use over 35# of grain in our mash tun.  It's a converted keg, and occasionally we'll get stuck on +40% wheat beers.

We're brewing a 41# mash for a doppelbock next weekend and decided to get 2# of rice hulls to see if it prevents a stuck sparge.  We assume that the weight of the mash is compressing the bottom of the grain bed too much and that's preventing sparge water from flowing.  Our assumption is that the rice hulls will make the mash more porous (probably the wrong word, but you get the idea) and minimize a stuck sparge.

The alternative is doing multiple batch sparges (the grain and sparge volumes can't be completely contained in the 15-gallon keg) and whirlpooling.  We're a bit OCD over efficiency and may just have to suck up getting a 60% efficiency on a 41# grain bill.  Of course with a smaller mash we could get an 83% efficiency.  I should probably gather better metrics and graph this but there's probably a point in our system where adding more grain is actually costing us more money and we're not going to reach an optimal efficiency/cost ratio (see, OCD...).

Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »
Tried them and it took forever to go through 2 pounds. Even brewed a 70% wheat without rice hulls and no stuck mash. I think mash-bed thickness can affect one's lauter but that can be compensated for by throttling back the run (my opinion).

Straight up- I think they are superfluous and they looked pretty dirty even after washing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »
I've had a 2 lb. bag in my supplies for over 10 years.  Never needed them.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 12:59:43 pm »
+1 I'm efficiency obsessed so I push my crush to the edge.  A friend of mine once said, "Crush 'til you are scared." 

Hey, that's my saying!

Denny Conn: Often imitated but never duplicated  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 01:06:26 pm »
And I think you should all thank your lucky stars for that!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 09:24:10 am »
The depth of the grain bed and the flow rate have a big effect on the lautering performance.  My compliments to the brewers who can brew high wheat grists without hulls. 

I run a RIMS and its pretty important to have a fairly permeable grist so that my flowrate is good.  Many RIMS and HERMS brewers probably know that the permeability of the grist actually changes during the mash.  It starts out at a lower permeability and you cannot try and push too much wort through the grist for the first 15 minutes or so.  As the conversion and soluablization progresses, the permeability of the grist increases and you can start increasing the flowrate.   Pushing too much flow through the grist can contribute to compacting the mash and possibly producing a stuck mash.

Therefore, I use hulls with high wheat grists or grists with rye.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks