Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonating at service pressure....no worky?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Carbonating at service pressure....no worky?
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »
I've had two beers now that I hooked up to service pressure (+/- 9 psi at 40ºF).......a week + later I tapped them and, nada..... FLAT.

So I hooked them up to my 30 psi hose, gave them the 5 minute "rockabye baby" treatment, and presto....two hours later everything hunky dory. (Except for the sediment that was back in play)

So, from now on, the 5 minute hula, then on service pressure for a week to clear up.

The question is.....how in the world can they be hooked up to service pressure for over a week and not absorb any CO2 ???????
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Carbonating at service pressure....no worky?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
I have kegs that will do this from time to time, then go from flat to perfectly carbed in 2 days.  It helps to pull a pint  off the keg every day to create some headspace for the CO2 to fill.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
It helps to hook the gas to the out port.

It really helps to hook it up at higher pressure a few days.

Normally I hook mine up at 30 psi and shake it 100-200 times and leave it at 30 psi until the next day.

The set it and forget it method takes weeks for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:40:58 pm »

Ya know, I've never found that makes any difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:54:13 pm »

Ya know, I've never found that makes any difference.

You know when you've got the wrong port when you hear your beer gargling...color coding works well too,  ;)
Ron Price

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:04 pm »
It works for me. The CO2 has more contact with the green beer. If it's cold enough it will hold on to some . A diffusion stone will help too because even more CO2 will be in the beer before it reaches the head space..

Naturally conditioning works well for me too. The CO2 is produced within the beer and will not as readily escape into the head space. Given the right temp and yeast health it only takes a week.

Carbonating from the top down is going to take longer, particularly with a keg because you drink it off the bottom and the best beer is at the top.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:07:06 pm by Malticulous »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:42:02 pm »
You can always shake at service pressure if you're that impatient but paranoid about over carbonating.  Like me. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:53 am »
I've had two beers now that I hooked up to service pressure (+/- 9 psi at 40ºF).......a week + later I tapped them and, nada..... FLAT.

The question is.....how in the world can they be hooked up to service pressure for over a week and not absorb any CO2 ???????

Did you vent and purge the kegs with co2 before filling them?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:21:03 am »

I did not..... will try.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:38:16 am »

I did not..... will try.

When racking to the keg it's a good idea to at least get some co2 down at the bottom of the keg. That way you have a blanket of co2 rising up and pushing the o2 out of the top. Not critical, but by not doing so, then force-carbing by agitation will mix some oxygen into the beer. If you plan to consume the beer quickly it doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if the partial pressure slowed your carbonation? I'm an artist not a scientist... ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »
 Fill kegs, purge head space, set serving pressure and chill to serving temp. Temperature makes a difference in how much CO2 goes into solution.

If space permits lay the keg on its side exposing more surface area to the gas.

I have check valves inline between the regulator and keg so I set the regulator to ~35 psi to seat everything and then turn the regulator down to serving pressure. Ready to go in a week.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
They were chilled, 40' and yes, they don't get much chance to go stale.....

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:57:18 pm »
9# @ 40* brings you to 2.2 volumes which is on the low end of carb for the style. Barring any leaks or regulator problems, after 10-14 days you'd hit 2.2 vols. Set it and forget it @ service pressure takes that long for me. A week of 9# @ 40* would seem pretty flat to me. I shoot for 2.5. I go on the higher end of carb for style to compensate for losses when filling growlers, bottles etc. and because I prefer it over lower.
Hitting it with 30-35 # initially, then backing it off should shorten carb time.

and yes, they don't get much chance to go stale.....

Hilarious, when I hear this, I picture this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:09:53 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »
I like it on the low end.......2.2 is perfect for me. OK, so once again things take a little longer than I expected. No problem. I'll do what I was doing, and have done since. The hula at 30 for 5 minutes, then service pressure for a few more days, more if I have the time, also lets things settle down better.

Yes, that's a classic scene.  ;D

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 03:46:26 pm »
Just checking that you kept the CO2 pressure on the whole time?
Brew on