Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small Boil Size  (Read 1130 times)

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
Small Boil Size
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
So I just did a batch of oatmeal stout, it is a partial mash. During the boil, I only had 2gallons in the kettle. After I sparged the grains, and put the wort in the primary, I added water to fill it up to 5 gallons.

What sort of issues do a small boil size create?

I also added the hops BEFORE the boil, and I didn't get a very good hot break. What will this cause?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Small Boil Size
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »
High sugar content makes for a reduced alpha acid isomerization, so your beer might not be quite as bitter.  There can be more caramelization as well, so attenuation might be just a little bit poorer.

Hopping prior to boiling is something like first wort hopping, I think it results in less bitterness.  Something equivalent to a 30min addition.  But I don't know if what you did is going to be the same as actually adding the hops to the first runnings.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »
So I just did a batch of oatmeal stout, it is a partial mash. During the boil, I only had 2gallons in the kettle. After I sparged the grains, and put the wort in the primary, I added water to fill it up to 5 gallons.

What sort of issues do a small boil size create?

I also added the hops BEFORE the boil, and I didn't get a very good hot break. What will this cause?

I reads to me like you didn't boil the wort from the grains. Is this correct?

Hops before the boil are OK but unorthodox unless "first wort hopping" and shouldn't affect your break. The break might affect your hops utilization though. Small boils if they are concentrated can result in darker wort and/or head retention issues.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »
I boiled the wort after I removed the grains, and sparged them.