Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixed Up Yeast!  (Read 2042 times)

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
Mixed Up Yeast!
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:03 am »
While prepping two starters last night I accidentally pitched a vial of yeast into the wrong flask. The resulting blends are now

A. 2xWLP500, 1xWLP530
B. 2xWLP530, 1xWLP500

Both are stirplated at approximately 2.75L each. They will each be pitched into an 1.085 OG Tripel. I know it's a lot of yeast. The planned cell count is higher than the Mr Malty default of 0.75M per ml per deg Plato (I targeted over 1.0M / ml./deg P).

You think there is any reason I should scrap the starters or cancell my brew day? I assume I will just get the blended flavors of the two strains proportional to how many vials of each went into each starter.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Mixed Up Yeast!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:47:34 am »
You think there is any reason I should scrap the starters or cancell my brew day?

No way!

Brew with the blend.  Those are two nice strains you have there and will play nicely with each other I think.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
I have considered blending some yeasts. If you use it, please report back.

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50:53 am »
Right on...I was not planning to dump unless someone really thought it was going to go bad....the base beer will be a Tripel with all American Hops (Belgian DIPA maybe.)

Starters are turning now....we shall see.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:12:43 am »
Well, the yeast had no problem coexisting together in my starters & wort. I pitched decanted slurries from the starters and both batches had a carboy full of after 12 hours. I pitched at 68F and both carboys are holding 70F for now. The cooler was set to hold 60F ambient but is now set to hold 70F and I am allowing the yeast to free rise as high at 85F (CYBI Captain Lawrence episode). The recipe was based on the CYBI Xtra Gold recipe. My OG was 1.090, 1 min of O2 at pitching and 30s of O2 3 hours after pitching.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:08 am »
36 hours after pitch, 77F and two full blow-off hoses.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:37:13 am »
Interesting things can happen with yeast mistakes.  I just kegged a sour mash yesterday that was brewed with London ale yeast instead of London ESB.  Let's just say after purchasing the wrong yeast twice I wasn't going back to buy it again. 

Anyway, I think it's the best tasting version of this recipe I've ever made and that's saying a lot!  Just another happy mistake.  You'll likely end up with something special.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:03:34 am »
9-days after pitch, 1.014.  Here come the dry-hops!
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:06:35 pm »
Day 15 (6-days on hops) - wow, the Amarillos layer right on top of the bitterness and alcohol to make this darn tasty.  Big grapefruit nose (maybe some pineapple) layered on top of the esters.  The yeast is starting to clean up some of the harsh flavors, but the alcohol still comes thru as a major component, just not really hot.  Gravity is now 1.012 (WLP530 blend) and 1.013 (WLP500 blend)

I'd like to try this beer backed off 40% (gravity and IBUs) and as a Belgo-American Pale.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider