Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about aging.  (Read 3654 times)

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
Question about aging.
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »
I know different styles require different aging times and it seems like a good rule of thumb is the higher the fg the longer the aging. But is aging time solely a function of gravity or are there other factors to consider?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Question about aging.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »
I've never really thought it was all about gravity.  I usually think about it more from a dark verse light decision.  I will keep dark beers like porters and stouts in starage for long periods of time because they develop very nicely over longer timeframes.  High alcohol beers will also age well but I do not keep light colored beers in storage for long periods.

Not really scientific but it has worked for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
Also, the really hop forward brews don't seem to benefit so much from aging as the hop aroma/flavor dissipates with time.
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:11:32 am »
I'd say there is no hard and fast rule. Some of the low gravity beers need aged the longest, such as Berliner weisse. Where as some  high gravity beers are best when young, such as IIPA.

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:50:37 am »
Another point is sanitation.  The longer you plan to age a beer, the more immaculate your sanitation needs to be.  I also agree that it depends a lot on what style you're aiming for:  the same beer sampled young might be considered an IIPA.  Age it a couple years and you could call it a barleywine.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:18:53 am »
I've never really thought it was all about gravity.  I usually think about it more from a dark verse light decision.  I will keep dark beers like porters and stouts in starage for long periods of time because they develop very nicely over longer timeframes.  High alcohol beers will also age well but I do not keep light colored beers in storage for long periods.

Paul

Some light or lighter colored beers can benefit from extended aging as well. Consider a a lager like Samiclaus or some of the Belgian styles. Gravity is one of the key factors for choosing which beers to cellar, though it's not the whole picture.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:30:11 am »
But is aging time solely a function of gravity or are there other factors to consider?

Your personal tastes and preferences.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:39:30 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:19 am »
But is aging time solely a function of gravity or are there other factors to consider?

You personal tastes and preferences.
I'll add that if your beer isn't very good before aging that you need to change something in your brewing process.
Aging goes a long way toward removing unwanted flavors, including some fairly bad ones.  Live yeast work wonders.
If you HAVE to age, take a look at your process.
Aging can bring in some outstanding oxidition notes (dark fruits, sherry).

But the bottom line is your personal tastes and preferences.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:13 am »

Paul

Some light or lighter colored beers can benefit from extended aging as well. Consider a a lager like Samiclaus or some of the Belgian styles. Gravity is one of the key factors for choosing which beers to cellar, though it's not the whole picture.

Good points and I agree completely.   I haven't really brewed beers like those (yet) so I wasn't thinking that way.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. As with many of the things I am learning in this new hobby, there really is no hard and fast rule.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:08 am »
Iwouldn't call the long storage of a Berlinner weisse or lambic, to be aging in the strict sense of the word.  Its more of an extended fermentation with bacteria and Brett, they take a long time and theres a progression of organisms that work their way through your beer.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:27 am »
Iwouldn't call the long storage of a Berlinner weisse or lambic, to be aging in the strict sense of the word.  Its more of an extended fermentation with bacteria and Brett, they take a long time and theres a progression of organisms that work their way through your beer.

Good point...... extended fermentation is very different from aging (cellaring in bottle, or keg)
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:43:21 am »

Explain what light colored Belgian beers age well?  Triples & pales,blonds all peak within 1-2yrs, Some saisons do age ok, same for Orval but really most of the lighter colored  tend to be better at a younger age.

I wouldn't say they go bad but some really drop-off really fast, Duvel comes to mind.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:16:45 am »

Explain what light colored Belgian beers age well?  Triples & pales,blonds all peak within 1-2yrs, Some saisons do age ok, same for Orval but really most of the lighter colored  tend to be better at a younger age.

I wouldn't say they go bad but some really drop-off really fast, Duvel comes to mind.

Certainly some of the Trappist Tripels, Westmalle & Westvleteren are two that come to mind. I've had some great vintage examples of both. Another style would be the Golden Strongs. You say Duvel drops off really fast. In some side by sides with Duvel, a number of us prefered the 2-3 year old examples to the fresh.

Where in FL are you, Uthristy?
If you're interested in attending some tastings of vintage beers and are close enough to make a trip to Ocala, go ahead and pm me. Jim Ritchhart, one of our club members (of Gainesville's Hogtwon Brewers) lives in Ocala. He puts on vintage beer tastings on a semi-regular basis. I help him organize those. Let me know if you're interested.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:51:37 am »

Certainly some of the Trappist Tripels, Westmalle & Westvleteren are two that come to mind. I've had some great vintage examples of both. Another style would be the Golden Strongs. You say Duvel drops off really fast. In some side by sides with Duvel, a number of us prefered the 2-3 year old examples to the fresh.

< edit to add Blond beers >
(Blond ->Westmalle & Westvleteren I like fresh, the darker beers do get far better with age. The thing with Duvel was when we had delivered fresh that morning  vs  bottles a few weeks older. The fresher was bursting with hoppy aroma with a huge rocky head, while the slighty older was already fading. Nit picky but it really made a impression on how fast beer can change.

fresh

older

Where in FL are you, Uthristy?
If you're interested in attending some tastings of vintage beers and are close enough to make a trip to Ocala, go ahead and pm me. Jim Ritchhart, one of our club members (of Gainesville's Hogtwon Brewers) lives in Ocala. He puts on vintage beer tastings on a semi-regular basis. I help him organize those. Let me know if you're interested.

Close enough that you may have drank some of my beers :o
But really my wife signed us up to Hogtwon Brewers several yrs ago but we never went, LOL
We're by Newberry & Trenton.

I've heard about Jim Ritchhart from http://belgianbeerboard.com/,  we also visit Belgium alot.

Our beer _ tour pics
http://s821.photobucket.com/home/UknowWho2u
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:36:53 am by uthristy »