Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleanser  (Read 1459 times)

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Cleanser
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »
I've been using an eco-friendly odorless, colorless liquid soap to clean my equipment before sanitizing. I placed my first brew in the primary yesterday and I've got lots of action in the airlock. So far so good! I'm really paranoid about cleaning and sanitizing so is there something better I should be using?
Thanks again for the responses!
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Cleanser
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
What you're doing is probably fine as long as it's working for you.  Main thing is is it getting things clean and is it not leaving any residue.

If you're interested in trying something different, one cleanser that seems to be fairly popular is Oxyclean - get the "free" or "versatile" or whatever they call it that's the fragrance free version.
Joe

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
+1 on the Oxyclean. Very effective and very affordable. Works great on stainless, glass and plastic. I've never tried using soap.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:23 am »
+1...Oxyclean.

Soap is not recommended.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:33 am »
I think Oxiclean is a great cleaner and use Oxiclean Versatile often and have for years.  I recently ran some informal tests that make me think PBW works better and that's what I use for all my really critical cleaning.  I also will use Oxiclean maybe 3-4 times on something, and then hit it with PBW the next time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:30:10 am »
I'll respectfully disagree with the others about soap.  Using a detergent is a good idea as it saponifies various fats into solution.
As long as you're using mild, unscented soap, I think it has its place, especially when cleaning plastic buckets.
I notice that mild soap and hot water removes various compounds (e.g., oils) that oxyclean might not remove as well.
Oxyclean is predominantly a cleanser, though it does contain non-ionic detergents.
I do wonder about its effectiveness in various water profiles (like mine which is high in sulfate and bicarbonates).
Regardless, rinse well after using soap or oxyclean and do not do prolonged soaks for days on end with oxyclean and water with high bicarbonate levels--you'll get a residue that cannot be easily removed from SS and impossible to remove from tubing or plastic.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:38 am »
I use Ivory soap in a very mild solution using a soft sponge to clean my plastic fermenters and have been doing so for years with excellent results. For my kegs I use PBW. I rinse with hot water to ensure a thorough rinsing of any detergents or cleaners. Of course, don't forget to sanitize everything before use.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:46 pm »
I stand, corrected.