Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Wit is too clear!  (Read 4068 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
My Wit is too clear!
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
I have a recipe for a great tasting wit beer.  The only problem is that it clears up very fast and very clear.  I use 40% wheat, oats, (w/no protein rest) and I use WLP 0400 Belgian Wit yeast fermented @ 62*. I also used Irish moss and I have transferred to a secondary for one week.  Obviously I should lose the Irish Moss and skip the secondary.

I would love to have a more cloudy beer, but don't know what aspect affects the clarity the most. What is the best wheat to use and would a protein rest help the oats? 
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: My Wit is too clear!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »
Randy Mosher suggests using a small amount of wheat flour to provide the cloudiness. Sorry, I'm not at home or I'd look for the amount he recommends.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »
I was going to say the same thing.  Randy Mosher, Graham Sanders, and others have suggested that by adding about 1 tablespoon of wheat flour in the boil kettle, your beer will be cloudy every time.  You might want to pre-mix it in a little cold water so that it doesn't turn into a doughball, but other than that, I'm betting it will work (I haven't tried it yet but will on my next wheat).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »
I was going to say the same thing.  Randy Mosher, Graham Sanders, and others have suggested that by adding about 1 tablespoon of wheat flour in the boil kettle, your beer will be cloudy every time.  You might want to pre-mix it in a little cold water so that it doesn't turn into a doughball, but other than that, I'm betting it will work (I haven't tried it yet but will on my next wheat).

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has wheat beers come out crystal clear.  I've work so hard over the years to get clear beer it seems weird to complain about it being too clear.  I'll have to give the wheat flour a go on my next wheat.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has wheat beers come out crystal clear.  I've work so hard over the years to get clear beer it seems weird to complain about it being too clear.  I'll have to give the wheat flour a go on my next wheat.

Paul

Adding raw wheat in the kettle and/or in the keg has not worked for me.  My witbier gets extremely clear in the keg after a couple weeks no matter what.  I'm thinking this may be a beer that is better bottle-conditioned than kegged.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:50:21 pm »
I guess the question is....what makes the German/Belgian wheat bears cloudy.......and then do that.....

Then again, I tend to over simplify things.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline whitebeard_brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »
Obviously I should lose the Irish Moss and skip the secondary.

That's where I would start!!!!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:30:17 am »
I guess the question is....what makes the German/Belgian wheat bears cloudy.......and then do that.....

Then again, I tend to over simplify things.....

I think it's the yeast that makes the German wheat beer cloudy, but the Belgian wit yeasts floc out.  It's the difference between hazes, whether from protein or other sources.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:46:27 pm »
In my experience and opinion, unless you're entering a comp, theres nothing wrong with a clear wit! In fact, for whatever reason...I prefer it.

Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 07:58:00 am »
Skip the IM, skip the secondary and add a few tablespoons of flour to the boil...easy  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!