Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Short's Cup of Joe or CupaJoe?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Short's Cup of Joe or CupaJoe?
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:09 pm »
I don't have any bottles left handy to look at... but OMG!  Delicious, maybe the best alcoholic espresso I've ever had.   And you all know I don't say BOOO often.... most commercial beers aren't any better than what you all can brew yourselves... but every once in a while I run into a commercial beer that makes me go.... Oh Yeaaaah!   If it didn't have a slight "burn" to it you might have a hard time believing it was beer and not coffee.  Smooooooth brew.  So... yeh, I'm buying some more.   ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Short's Cup of Joe or CupaJoe?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:22 am »
Never heard of it!

Good to see ya back, Dean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:44 am »
Never heard of it!

Good to see ya back, Dean.
I believe that distribution is pretty much limited to Michigan.  I don't like some of their stuff, but you have to give Joe Short credit for courage for some of the things he comes up with.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
Dean!

Good to see ya posting!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:39 am »
Yeah, I'm still kicking around.   ;D  I might be going under the knife again later this month... waiting to hear. 

Anyway, I've found most of the microbrewers all make one or two decent beers per "My" tastebuds, and I've found a few that "I" think are great.  But I've had beer sent to me from a few homebrewers that were every bit as good as any of the names we all seek to try.  Frankly I'm amazed because it seems most of them brew "out of the box" as in outside the given parameters for a style.  I dunno though... maybe its just me and my tastebuds that are whacked?   ???  :D  Since I've also quit smoking, I've lost my desire for hoppy beer.  I struggle to drink cola even because it tastes bitter to me.   :o ::)  Seriously... maybe its the meds I take?   :-\

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:45:41 am »
Could well be the meds.  A friend of mine just posted about what I know to be a superb IPA tasting weird to him after dental surgery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
Could also be the stopping smoking.  When I quit 20 years ago I lost my sense of smell until I had nasal surgery to remove the accumulated polyps.  I think the smoke was keeping them in check, but that's only a theory and certainly does not make me want to start smoking again.
Without a sense of smell all you can taste is sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami.  It's weird, too, because you can develop a skill to differentiate between types of sugars, but you can't tell for example the type of fruit, only that it is from fructose.
Of course your issue could be the meds.  I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995