Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coolers for All Grain Brewing  (Read 6247 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Coolers for All Grain Brewing
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:16 pm »
Along these lines, I am using a (blue) Coleman 48 quart right now, and have brewed one 5G batch in it. Has anyone brewed a 10 G batch in a 48qt cooler? We're talking 22 pounds of grain and 8 gallons of water here......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
Along these lines, I am using a (blue) Coleman 48 quart right now, and have brewed one 5G batch in it. Has anyone brewed a 10 G batch in a 48qt cooler? We're talking 22 pounds of grain and 8 gallons of water here......
It should fit as long as your mash thickness is below ~1.8 qt/lb. Check this website out: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
Mark Gres

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »
Cool, I have two quarts to spare....... :o Splashomatic.....I think I will order the larger cooler for the 10G batches.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 09:36:30 pm »
That set up looks nice.  If you dont mind sharing what is that made up of.

It's PEX with holes drilled in the bottom. It works very well for batch sparging.

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:14:21 am »

I've got a 50 quart cooler (silver) and I do 10 gallon batches once in a while.  My limit is 25 lbs of grain with a 1.25 quart/lb mash (~7.8 gallons) filled to the rim (70% efficiency).  For batches over 1.056 I need to add extract, I just did a 10 gallon Janet Brown (1.068) which came out perfect with 3 lbs dry light extract.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:18:09 am »
I've worn out 4 Igloo 48 qt ice-cubes. Been using the 70 qt Coleman extreme- the conversion was as simple as sliding the tubing through the drain...

I just built an Igloo 2.5 gallon. Water tested it over the weekend. Won't be much use except for those "experimental" batches. Might be able to squeeze a 2.5 gallon batchsparge out of it.

I usually do 12 gallon batches out of the Coleman. No problem but on higher gravity brews the mash has barely left room for the lid to fit! Regardless I start with 19 gallons in my hot-liquor tank and at the end of the session I have 12 gallons in my fermenters.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 10:03:48 am »
I've worn out 4 Igloo 48 qt ice-cubes.

What do you mean "Worn out"?
How does one actually do that, aside from making a strange costume out of a cooler & sauntering around town?
 ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 11:56:32 am »
Worn out around town? :D

Just that they sustained damage over a succession of batches, so I replaced them. At $14 a pop it was easy to do.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »
What are you doing to damage them? ???

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »
What are you doing to damage them? ???

Was. Was doing... ;)

Boiling wort in them with heatsticks. Using them as fermenters...

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »
Awesome!
I love it when folks push the envelope!
 :D