Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bookend APA Water? Ya  (Read 4080 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bookend APA Water? Ya
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:54 am »
Bottom line, the water sticks to the grain but the salts and sugars move from bound to free water.

Your process is pretty close, you're just low by whatever percentage of sugar/minerals comes from your sparge.  Probably around 10%.  None of these flavor minerals is that touchy unless you're running right on the ragged edge of being too much.  And then I doubt its a matter of 300ppm SO4 being OK and 330ppm being awful.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:12 am »
I have thought about this as well as soon as I heard the suggestion of adding sparge water salts to the BK and not to the sparge water.  My thinking on this is that the changes in actual salt amounts that make it into the BK are too little to actually worry about this detail.

Kai

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:07 pm »
Bottom line, the water sticks to the grain but the salts and sugars move from bound to free water.

Your process is pretty close, you're just low by whatever percentage of sugar/minerals comes from your sparge.  Probably around 10%.  None of these flavor minerals is that touchy unless you're running right on the ragged edge of being too much.  And then I doubt its a matter of 300ppm SO4 being OK and 330ppm being awful.

I figured it was fairly close.  But wouldn't I be high, rather than low?  In other words, because my process assumes that minerals are bound up with the water in grain, I am potentially adding salts to the boil to make up for the minerals lost.  This will be more fun to think about after 5 p.m.  ;D
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!