Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary time  (Read 1758 times)

Offline eric

• Cellarman
Primary time
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
Do to issues I left my porter in the primary for 26 days....What effect will that have on taste?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Primary time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:00:37 pm »
probably none
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »
None whatsoever...well, it may be better than when you leave it for less time!  I almost always do 3-4 weeks in primary and no secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40:51 pm »
The duration on primary is also influenced by the temperature the beer is being held at.  In you're in a cool region or fermenting in a cool place, then the duration will be longer than when in a warm place. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:46:34 pm »
The duration on primary is also influenced by the temperature the beer is being held at.  In you're in a cool region or fermenting in a cool place, then the duration will be longer than when in a warm place. 

+1 you beat me to it

It should be noted that a lot of brewers on this site are fermenting under pretty optimal conditions.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:16:12 pm »

+1 you beat me to it

It should be noted that a lot of brewers on this site are fermenting under pretty optimal conditions.

Ditto!

Even when the active fermentation phase is over one can still develop some disappointing off flavors if the temp strays too high out of the proper range for extended periods.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis